Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-22-2003, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you run 87, 89 or 93 octane? I have noticed if I run 93 octane in my mix, that ALL of my equipment is easier to start. (Stihl fs85, Shin. 630, Echo 2400 hedge trimmer)
Old 04-22-2003, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I run 89 in everything thats on the trailer. May switch to 93, not that much price difference considering the amount I go through per week and that it's better than 89, and several of my engines are older. Can you beleive they sell that 86 junk at my favorite station? LOL....
Old 04-22-2003, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BushHogBoy
I run 89 in everything thats on the trailer. May switch to 93, not that much price difference considering the amount I go through per week and that it's better than 89, and several of my engines are older. Can you beleive they sell that 86 junk at my favorite station? LOL....
From what I have been told/read, it is best to use 87, no more than 89 in 4 stroke engines, i.e. mowers, etc. and use 93 in all 2 cycle mix. Then there is 102-104 for the truck...lol....

Its been a while since I have seen 86...Racetrack gas stations around here did have it, but I think they HAD to go up to 87...
Old 04-22-2003, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

FS85

I don't think people know exactly how to start FS85's. I own two FS85's and they both start on the 2nd pull. Here's the sequence that you have to start them :
1st pull- have choke on and throttle in start position, it will sputter this pull
2nd pull-turn choke OFF. and keep throttle in the start position.

Mine always starts on the second pull. It surely does not take ten pulls.

52" Wright Stander
52" Great Dane Surfer
48" Ransomes/Bobcat W/B
21" Lawnboy
FS85 RT Stihl Trimmer
T230 Shindaiwa Trimmer
Shindaiwa Backpack blower
Old 04-22-2003, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl units start hard.

That is why I swithced to Echo years ago and have never looked back....better dealer in my area takes good care of me as well!!
Old 04-23-2003, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
don't think people know exactly how to start FS85's. I own two FS85's and they both start on the 2nd pull. Here's the sequence that you have to start them :
1st pull- have choke on and throttle in start position, it will sputter this pull
2nd pull-turn choke OFF. and keep throttle in the start position.

Mine always starts on the second pull. It surely does not take ten pulls.
Mine takes me only two pulls also. Like you said, have throttle in start position, open choke fully, and prime a 3-5 times. Pull the rope until it fires (which for me is only one pull). Then, put on half or three-quarter throttle and start it again. It works for me. Same procedure works on my hs75 hedgers (same engine I believe). Maybe I just got a good fs 85? Seems like everyone else has problems.

You might also try removing the spark arrestor screen. Don't know if that helps with starting, but they get gummed up bad.

Ryan
Old 04-23-2003, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your replies. I will use your suggestions. The machine is brand new and probably has less than 2 hours on it so I've probably started it only 6 or 8 times. Therefore, I think I just have to find that right combination and that will happen in time.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yacht, It might be the equipment but I am betting that once you get some time on each of the pieces of equipment then starting them will be easier. Andrews Lawn has the starting sequence that I follow on my Stihl trimmer. Experiment and you will find the combination that works to get your equipment started quickly.

Gravely_Man
Old 04-23-2003, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

RdeMax EB7000

2 pulls, if more than that, I know I did something wrong.( throttle left on, choke not on for first pull, not primed, etc..)

Also, always let the blower idle for 30 seconds or longer before shutting it off.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Same Here.....2 pulls. Is everyone using the Stihl mix or some cheap mix?

-Turn to on
-Prime it (press 3 times if you have used it in the last week or so. More if its been longer- you will see the gas in the bulb)
-Turn it to full choke, pull till it tries to fire (usually one pull).
-Turn choke off
-Pull and it should fire right up.
You might have to play with the choke lever to keep it running if its really damp and or cold.

FYI- My Stihl FS200R started up second pull after being stored all winter with the old gas. FYI- Stihl mix uses stabilizer.

I'm trying to be nice but I think some people don't know how to start 2 cycles. Possibly running cheap mix or cheap fuel.

Heres a link to a video on how to start Stihl trimmers. Also you need to understand the equipment your using because most require a different routine to start them.

http://www.stihlusa.com/library/vide...y.html#realvid

Jimbo