Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2003, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My FS-85 Trimmer starts usually on the second or third pull. You just have to figure the right combination using the choke. Best trimmer I have ever used by far.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Jimbo - Thanks for the reply. Do you slide the switch to the "start" setting when you start your machine? I thought that just kept the throttle at "full" and I can do that with the opposite hand when I start the machine. I am using the Stihl mix. Also, do you prime it even though you see gas in the bulb? My old trimmer I didn't have to do that. Thanks again

ps I think you're right gravelyman.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use 83 octane and it works fine. I didn't really think havein 92 or 99 octane would make that much of a difference.

I will try it.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Jimbo - Thanks for the reply. Do you slide the switch to the "start" setting when you start your machine? I thought that just kept the throttle at "full" and I can do that with the opposite hand when I start the machine. I am using the Stihl mix. Also, do you prime it even though you see gas in the bulb? My old trimmer I didn't have to do that. Thanks again
Yes, I slide the switch to start. Thats what I was referring to when I wrote "Turn it on".
Never try to start the trimmer with the throttle at full. Dont even touch the throttle, because you will flood it and make it hard to start. The choke is already introducing added fuel.

I prime it no matter what if I havent used it for a day.

Jimbo
Old 04-23-2003, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Jimbo - My FS85 has a "Run" setting and a "Start" setting and you can't slide the swich to "Start" unless you fully depress the throttle. Are you saying slide the switch to "Run", with full choke and don't touch the throttle?
Old 04-23-2003, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

The Shindaiwa's start on ONE pull every time. Prime bulb 5 times in the morning and three times the rest of the day, put the choke up and pull the cord with the finger feathering the throttle, runnnnnn, push the choke off. I use 87 octane and Tanaka mix.

You may want to change your mix for a change.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yacht-

I have 3 Stihl trimmers and none have run and start. All mine have Start and a circle with Stop written inside it.

If yours has run and start (which is strange) you need to put it on start. If you have to depress the trigger to get it to the start position that is fine.
What I am saying is dont hold the throttle in while you start it. The choke being on will add the extra fuel required for cold starting.

Jimbo