Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-23-2003, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Do you have a certain brand of equipment you just stay away from and why?

I'm not talking about cheap brands that a lot of people don't like, I'm talking about brands that people rave about. As many good things as I've heard people say about Echo, that has to be the brand that I have had more problems with than all others combined I swear, I must have bought every piece of bad Echo equipment ever made

Today I went out to do some tree trimming and grabbed the two Aggressors. I still have these two Echo pieces because, quite frankly, they are the only company, that I know of, that made such a trimmer. The first one proceeds to dump fuel all over my boot as I try to prime it. Wonderful The bulb is cracked. For some reason I can't pull the rope on it. The damn thing seems frozen So I pull off the recoil and turn the engine over with a wrench, put it all back together, and the recoil spring breaks. This isn't the first time that's happened, I just replaced the whole recoil assembly last spring

So I grab the other one, it won't run. Finally cranks, but won't stay running. Nothing unusual there, Zama carburetors have been a problem on every Echo I've had that they used them on. So I am sitting with two tree trimmers broken down in the shop floor and it reminds me of why I stay away from them. I remember every SRM2400 and PE2400 I ever had doing stuff like this

I know alot of you have great luck with Echo, so no need to tear me apart here. This is just my experience with one company. I'm sure most of you have a brand that leaves you stranded too.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:49 AM
Banned

I have owned a bunch of Echo equipment in the past and also have my reasons for not liking their stuff. I am a BIG fan of Redmax though, I have not once had a problem with any equipment I have bought from that company.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Re: Do you have a certain brand of equipment you just stay away from and why?

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith

Nothing unusual there, Zama carburetors have been a problem on every Echo I've had that they used them on.
Actually I need to correct that. I think my 2400 stuff had Walbro, it was the smaller 2100 stuff that had the Zama. Oh well, they both sucked
Old 04-23-2003, 04:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
I wish my dealer carried Redmax

They carry 11 brands of mowers, but only Stihl 2-cycle equipment.

Dave
Old 04-23-2003, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

"I'm not talking about cheap brands that a lot of people don't like"
damn & I was gunna say Homelight.

Can't really say much about brands people rave about as they all have their place in the field & every thing has it's faults. To each his own....

Kaw. products have treated me real well... Stihl chainsaws are great but their products are a ***** to start but run great once going. Echo makes a decent product for the $, older trimmers vibrate & the blower tubes require a good supply of duct tape.
I used to think briggs engines were junk till I realized it was more so the products they were attached to at the time.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hand tools if I can help it.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Keith,

Sounds to me like your problem is the type of gasoline or the type of 2 cycle oil mix. And the fact that you probably don't use it everyday like most of us.

Primer bulb on my 2501 Echo (1993 model) just went earlier this month on me. Started leaking. For 53 cents, I was back in business. Not bad.....53 cents/decade! I can handle that!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. ALWAYS buy the 25cc+ class Echo products. The 23cc and under seem to be made much cheaper. This is just my observation, and just about every person that complains about Echo products on LS has had the smaller ones. Don't hear about the 25cc+ stuff being bashed hardly at all. If you can buy it in Home Depot, you don't want it!!!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 04-23-2003, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Years ago, I bought 2 Tanaka weedwackers. Just couldn't seem to keep them running. Dealer swore by them, but I bought the Echo SRM200 to replace them. 20 yrs later(no more than 15 lawns a week), I've still got it! The Echo chain saw is 18 yrs old and hasn't gotten a heck of a lot of use since I cleared my lot to build my house. Also had a PB400 back pack blower. Was over 20 yrs old when I sold it for $150 and bought my 630 Redmax blower. I'd go w/ either Echo or Redmax.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Stan,
It sounds like your experience with Echoes is just like mine. I started with them 20 years ago, and when I bought new, I got more of the same for my trimmers and blowers. Still have some of the old stuff, even though I don't use it. My chainsaws have always been Stihl, though - as well as my hedgesaws. My lond powerpruner is Echo, however. As far as any other brands, I can't really speak, because I've never really gone beyond Echo, Stihl, John Deere, Gravely, and Exmark. I did buy a push blower one time called a "Roto Hoe" that basically shook itself apart, but I now have a Little Wonder, for that.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just as TLS pointed out on the Echo equipment ("ALWAYS buy the 25cc+ class Echo products") I have found the same to be true with Husqvarna saws. I do a lot of tree work and the Husqvarna mid range and up saws are great but the lower end (smaller saws) just don't hold up well.

Gravely_Man