Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2003, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I stay clear of echo trimmers like listed above under 25cc's . Gravely mowers over 36" , Encore mowers, lesco mowers anything john deer. Some of the smaller Kohler engines (non electric start) . Basically if you didnt pay alot for it....you aint getting alot for your money. I found that out the hard way dont get me wrong the expensive stuff has its faults to but the cheapo stuff just dosent cut it unless you do lets say under 40 yards a week.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am OK with echo but, MORE satisfied with STIHL.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TLS
Keith,

Sounds to me like your problem is the type of gasoline or the type of 2 cycle oil mix. And the fact that you probably don't use it everyday like most of us.

Primer bulb on my 2501 Echo (1993 model) just went earlier this month on me. Started leaking. For 53 cents, I was back in business. Not bad.....53 cents/decade! I can handle that!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. ALWAYS buy the 25cc+ class Echo products. The 23cc and under seem to be made much cheaper. This is just my observation, and just about every person that complains about Echo products on LS has had the smaller ones. Don't hear about the 25cc+ stuff being bashed hardly at all. If you can buy it in Home Depot, you don't want it!!!
I used Echo stuff daily from 1989 to 1997, I just kept buying the product because thats what they pushed I had no less than 11 2400 series trimmers and edgers, 5 or so 2100 series. These two, SRS2100 and SRS2400 are pretty much the only ones that go limited. Never owed a 25+ cc Echo.

Primer bulb 53 cents? Dealer just hit me up for $2.25...and that was with my 10% discount!
Old 04-23-2003, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunton Guy
I stay clear of echo trimmers like listed above under 25cc's . Gravely mowers over 36" , Encore mowers, lesco mowers anything john deer. Some of the smaller Kohler engines (non electric start) . Basically if you didnt pay alot for it....you aint getting alot for your money. I found that out the hard way dont get me wrong the expensive stuff has its faults to but the cheapo stuff just dosent cut it unless you do lets say under 40 yards a week.

what kind of problems have you had with gravelys over 36'? just curious since i now own a 60' gravely 260z and love it. i also used a bunton 60' for 2 yrs. at the property i worked. it was "my" mower. did all the maint. on it . had a few probs with it regarding hyd. deck. but was a great mower. only had 400 hrs on it when i left the company.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dixie Chopper, cuz I think they're so darn ugly.

JMHO

Don't mean to offent anybody, I'm sure they cut fine, I just think they're the ugliest mower in the world.

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 04-23-2003, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

slowleak...they happen to have plastic bushings/washers on the models I have owned....I checked with the dealer and they dont even make METAL ONES!!!!the ones I have delt with looked pretty messy after only a few hundered hours and deteriorated farely quickly.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunton Guy
slowleak...they happen to have plastic bushings/washers on the models I have owned....I checked with the dealer and they dont even make METAL ONES!!!!the ones I have delt with looked pretty messy after only a few hundered hours and deteriorated farely quickly.
thats a pretty strong statement .but you have obviously done lot's of research into this matter.
Old 04-23-2003, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

John Deere Turf equipment they suck! Got an old 305 pull type and a 3235 fairway mower. The 305 was a pain in the a**, hard to work on, soft blades, and hard to back lap. The 3235, I don't know were to start got it used with 1000 hrs and first year it spent more time in the shop then on the course. The only good thing about the Deere turf stuff is its half the price of the other brands on the market. I made the mistake once and never again Jacobsen for me here on out!
Old 04-23-2003, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not to bash anyone brand, but if its GREEN, it ain't RIPE yet. LOL
Marc
Old 04-23-2003, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
but if its GREEN, it ain't RIPE yet
Good, give me your money and I will return it to you when it rippens. lol