Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2000, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone used telemarketing to get leads and set appointments for a potential customer visit? I was told that this was a very effective method and was wondering what the rest of you guys think? If not, what is YOUR tried and true method. Would be interested in learning what works best for you.
Old 06-29-2000, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Try the &quot;search&quot; method, you'll hear all about it!! LOL This has been discussed inside and out already here, check the old posts<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Old 06-29-2000, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I have found the best way to get new business is to do a superb job, every time. Take the extra 5 minutes to get the small things. I'm sure you've heard this advice before but here's my take. <p>When you bid on the referral, you already have the job (most of the time) This is a person who has taken the time to ask around for quality lawn service. A person who is more likely to pay good money for a job well done. You aren't &quot;competing&quot; against someone (scrubs) that will lowball the account. Our best accounts have come off referrals. <p>It's also been my experience that these customers are more interested in Full Service care than a bi-weekly mow-blow & Go. More room for profit. Less hassle. Just my two cents.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida
Old 06-29-2000, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I hang up on every one of those sons of bitc--- every time they call. I can not think of a worst way to piss off a potential customer. Telemarketing sucks and has to be one of the worst investments you would ever make.
Old 06-29-2000, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with grassroots.
Old 06-30-2000, 04:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have tried cold calling with limited success. I did get about a 5-10% positive interest in our service and I didn't get anyone really pissed at me. Mostly because of the way I approached it. I would call and say; &quot;Hello. Is Mike there. Hi Mike, my name is xxx from xxx. We do lawn care and xxx for a few of your neighbors there on xxx street (which was true). I was wondering if you'd be interested in getting a free bid on ....&quot;<p>I know this isn't the same as hiring a telemarketing company. But it's similar. I agree telemarketing is annoying to most people and I don't think I'd try it. The good news about it though is that even if you piss them off, it's short term memmory. Most people will forget who it was that called within 5 minutes. So no long term damage done to your reputation. <p>Is it worth it? I dunno. I kinda doubt it but done right, it could be. Is it the best way to get new customers? Heck no! If you are new, nothing beats fliers. Laying fliers on people's doors gets the best response for the money of any kind of marketing - bar none. <p>Once you get more established, the best form of marketing is your reputation, lettering on your trucks, A-frame signs put up while on a job, etc. We get a good 50% of our new business this way. But then we have 5 trucks driving around town that all look identical, permenant yard signs in 50% of our customers' yards, A-frame signs on the sidewalk at every job we do, and a good reputation. The rest of our business comes from Yellow Pages Ads (barely worth what they cost and TRICKY!), fliers, and a few other places. <p>I used to do fliers a LOT. And we still do in the winter or early spring if we are a little slow. But I haven't had to do that for almost 5 months now. Still, for the money, they are the best. You can lay a good 400-700 fliers a day if you try. 2 or 3 days of that and even with a 2% return you'll be swamped. Trust me. <p>Hope that helps. <p>----------<br>Jim Lewis - Lewis Landscape Services<br>http://www.lewislandscape.com
Old 06-30-2000, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just got a call from a telemarketer at dinnertime. She was from a clinic and wondered if I wanted to come in for a check up. <br>I usually just hang up but today I have a couple of Captain & Cokes on board and I told her that (and I know that this is not nice) that I had terminal cancer and I am alone and have one month to live.<br>There was no reply for 30 seconds, then I said sorry have a good day -- click. <p>I like eating dinner with my family uninterrupted. I would never sell anything this way. Just my opinion. Good Luck,---Happy 4th.. MOW_ED