Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2003, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Member

"You can never be too carefull"

I hope every one had a great easter weekend

My crews have just had a great weekend,got back to work pulled all the gear out of storage and repacked the trucks

Only forgot one very important thing.......the hitch on our 5 metre trailer was not connected properly , and they drove out to do the days work.well guess what the trailer came adrift and although there was no real damage as they were not out of 1st gear yet I consider this to be a very serious event.

No matter how long and competent we all have been in this business it only takes one time to cause a horrible accident not only to ourselves but also to others.

My employee who was responsible for the accident has been kicking himself allday and offered to pay for any damage that may have occurred.(I had to rewire the plug for the lights on the trailer and replace the brake fluid cap for the trailer brakes)_ so the cost was no big deal

I for one will be reminding not only my employees about double checking things and safety but myself as well
Old 04-23-2003, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You must check everything over to be extra sure that you missed nothing. The minute you don't double check or pay attention will be the time a problem occurs.

Gravely_Man
Old 04-23-2003, 04:12 PM
Banned

I was driving through a valley the other morning and saw something very similar to what you are talking about. Mitsubishi Fuso towing an equipment trailer with a skid steer on the back. I would assume that the brakes went out on the trailer going down the hill, and that's what pushed the truck and trailer off the road.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I always make it a point to do all the hook ups at the same time I lower the trailer. If I even wait a minute or two I'm sure that I will someday forget to finish.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I always check my hitch each time i after i have stoped. U never know who may have tried to mess with your rig. Or in the middle of it when they saw u coming back or just want to see your trailer come off the hitch.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You gotta check, and re-check everything, everytime.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Last year around June my wife was on her way home from work. Across the intersection was a large flatbed truck pulling a huge bulldozer like the forestry service uses. When the driver turned right the trailer continued on straight and crossed the lanes of traffic. It finally hit a car just behind my wife and the lady in the car was pinned in for over an hour.

The news said that the driver of the truck was told by a fellow employee that the hitch was latched and he was good to go. The driver never checked it for himself. Bad oversight on his part.

The lady in the car lived.

Old 04-23-2003, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blueisgood
I always check my hitch each time i after i have stoped. U never know who may have tried to mess with your rig. Or in the middle of it when they saw u coming back or just want to see your trailer come off the hitch.

That happened to me when I used to pressure wash. I stopped to quote a job and then when I returned to my truck I noticed both safety chains were off and the hitch had ben unlatched. At first I thought I had a brain fart and forgot to hook up correctly until I looked across the street where there where construction workers. They were all laughing and then I knew what had happened.

I never leave my hitch unlocked now and I walk between the truck and trailer after every job just to look at the connections. It has become habit now.

Old 04-23-2003, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thfireman
That happened to me when I used to pressure wash. I stopped to quote a job and then when I returned to my truck I noticed both safety chains were off and the hitch had ben unlatched. At first I thought I had a brain fart and forgot to hook up correctly until I looked across the street where there where construction workers. They were all laughing and then I knew what had happened.

I never leave my hitch unlocked now and I walk between the truck and trailer after every job just to look at the connections. It has become habit now.
should have been an arse whoopin' on that one...or maybe an acid power wash for the construction workers...
Old 04-24-2003, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

That thing with the construction workers could have been serious. Those are the kind of people we see on tv. You know, crime stoppers, most wanted etc...The mentality of those guys is down there with the other stupid people in life.