Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2003, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Best machine to mow, snow blow, pull trailer and plow

Hi All,

I am the president of a condo in Westchester, NY. We have a side hill, 5 acre property with a lot of very mature trees. Our porter mows with a smaller commercial push mower. He also uses a wheel borrow for moving mulch, soil, etc. I want to make better use of his time by purchasing a riding machine that can serve us in multiple ways. We would like to use it for mowing, blowing, snow blowing, and minimal snow plowing, pulling a trailer for lawn work, mulching, debris collection and moving trash to the street.

Is there an industry standard, quality, reliable machine that is flexible in this way, with many options and attachments?

Thank you!

Tim
Old 04-24-2003, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I would suggest a 4wd (for traction in snow) diesel (for longevity) sub-compact tractor such as the Kubota BX 2200 or the John Deere 2210.

A ZTR (zero-turning-radius) mower will let you mow much faster, and you can buy snow removal equipment for most ZTRs, but no one seems to do it yet, and therefore it's price-prohibitive.

The ultimate would be to buy a sub-compact *and* a ZTR, but if you can only buy one or the other, the sub-compact will probably be your best bet.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say a 4x4 Toro Groundsmaster-diesel
Old 04-24-2003, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gravely walk-behind tractor, and attachments.
Crawdad
Old 05-06-2003, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Definitely the Gravely, 2 wheeler, because all the jobs you listed attachments are available for the gravely right crawdad?
Old 05-06-2003, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Glaesemann, do you have any updates on your decision?
Old 05-06-2003, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Next week we are going to look at two John Deere 4WD diesels, the 2210 and the X595. The 2210 appears to be better suited to real multi-purpose tractor use. I like the tight turning radius but it appears to not have the wide selection of lawn specific attachments available, such as areator, thatcher, bagger, sprayer, etc. They both have 23/24 HP, high torque, Yanmar 3 cylinder diesel engines. The X595 has a disappointing 48 inch turning radius compared to the 2210's 7 inch.

I appreciate everyones feedback and am open to hearing opinions about these two tractors.

Thank you!

Tim
Old 05-06-2003, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

A 7 inch turning radius on the 2210 didn't sound right to me, so I looked up the specs on deere's web site and saw that it's 7.5 feet, not inches.

The X595's turning radius is 48 inches in 4wd mode, but only 28 inches in 2wd mode.

So, for mowing, the X595 is probably the winner. The 2210 gives you the 3 pt hitch, to take almost any kind of industrial attachment, made by deere or not. But you might not need these types of attachments like backhoes and post hole diggers. It should take the attachments you mentioned, which are mostly just pull-behind attachments. The 2210 will also be beefier than the X595, adding weight, which helps with snow plowing, etc.

When you visit the dealer and demo the two units, I'm sure the winner will surface. Either way you'll have a great tractor with a great engine.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Member

BigDave,

Thanks for the clarification. I also thought that sounded very tight. I even looked it up twice and compared them side by side. I missed that one was in inches and the other in feet.

As you said the best one for our application will become apparent during the demo. Given the turning radius clarification, I imagine we will be looking quite closely at the X595.

Thank you for the feedback!

Tim
Old 05-07-2003, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You may want to look at the Grasshopper 928D.

6 ft. cut

many attachments. - aerator, dethatcher, plow, brom, cab in the winter (optional heater)

very versitile machine