Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2003, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Mowing a wet lawn?

I was just wandering if there was a mower out there that works better than others on mowing wet grass. I know everyone has mowed a wet lawn at one time or another, due to dew or rain. Does anyone have a ZTR that mowes well, can bag and not clump too bad or "plug up." I just got started and use a Dixon and it does o.k. unless you get in the real thick stuff then you're always having to unplug the shoot. Any way just wanted to know others experience with this.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Three Words!!!

Double blades, discharge.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Three Words!!!
Double blades, discharge
dont cut wet!!
Old 04-29-2003, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

first off, you should have gotten a commercial dixon with the blower, mine really rarely plugs and i was mowing at 8 am friday after the rain wed. and thurs. Dixons can't run doubles, the blade nut barely goes on fully with the one blade and washer, plus (and i tried it) the second blade is then lower than the baffels in the front, and really close in the back, i only tried it for a few minutes but got alot of blow out coming back on top of me. As for discharging the grass....not when it's wet and tall. you have to bag in these conditions.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I mow in the rain all the time as long as its not a total wash out, I run a 62" Toro Z , right now im cutting at 3-1/2 to 4" no problems with clumping, and i always take my top gator blades off a just run med-lift blades, I always carry a raincoat, just like bass fishing........Marks Mowing Service
Old 04-29-2003, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate to mow in the rain, but we have to do it. I will not cut if it is raining heavy, but yesterday it was misting while i was cutting most of the afternoon. I have a lazer hp 52 inch and it does pretty good. I will have to raise the deck up and go over the spots where the grasas clumped up, but does a good job.

Quote:
Does anyone have a ZTR that mowes well, can bag and not clump too bad or "plug up."
I would think they all will plug up when you are cutting and the stream of water is as much as the grass comming out of the discharge. I have noticed that if I clean the underside of deck often this will help though.
I think it is the toro sfs deck that cuts real well in the wet, but I like my lazer, and cannot justify a seperate mower.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It is all in the blades - put gators on or double blade with the gator on top - When it is wet you just need Horse Power - there is no magic about mowing - It really boils down to blades and HP -There are some decks that are better than others, but none are magical in wet tall grass conditions.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

John Gamba can give you some light on this with his Lazers covered in grass.LOL
Old 04-29-2003, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Flex,
Why did you drop the Flex Deck forum sponsorship???????? Did your Flex-Deck bomb???????
Old 04-29-2003, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got away from doubles and Gator blades for spring or wet cutting. They were causing more clumps with the thin cool season grasses I cut. 1 set of regular or high lift seem to work good for me on a Toro sfs deck. And yes it still clogs up with wet grass and needs to be scraped same as any other brand. I really hate mowing wet lawns, whether from dew or rain. Around here we get cool nights and sometimes the dew is on the grass til noon! It just makes for a long and tiring day - but you do what you have to.