Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2003, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Member

part time

My son and I both have full time jobs and manage 25 customers.It requires cutting every night and Saturdays.QUALITY NOT QUANTITY.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've been doing this P/T for almost 20 years. My full time job pays my insurance, vacation, sick time and retirement plan. The hours are a bit longer with two jobs , but without any kids, I'd just be watching too much TV. Now a days many of us are taking on another P/T job (the wife doesn't work) to make ends meet, so at least I'm making top dollar at a "My" P/T job. It keeps me in shape, out in the fresh air, and I get paid for it , too

Pete
Old 05-05-2003, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I'M A PART TIMER

Let's see......I'm a part timer at this I guess. I'm doing a little bit of landscaping for people I know but I advertise for just grass cutting. I'm a sophomore in college right now and have another job at Sears as a salesman doing about 30 hours a week.

I'm quite happy with the 7-10 yards that I have. Just a little bit of extra spending money. Sometimes the customers will ask me to do extra work like trimming hedges and so on.

I'm 19 now and started doing this when I was 15. I enjoy it because it gets me outside and I enjoy seeing the finished product once I'm done. It also helps with people skills at my other job and vice versa.

Well, I have to get back to studying for a political science final .

By the way, I'm just using a LawnBoy, Sthil trimmer, and Craftsman blower.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great response, I am in my 19th year at a paper mill working swing shift. My days off change each week so it affords me some time each to "moonlight". I have all the benefits (health ,dental ,etc) so I don't have to worry about buying those ,but the extra money moonlighting sure comes in handy. What kind of money can a person make (average) per week doing this. I've been building decks and fences etc for about 20 years on the side and the money is good ,but it is not steady income. Basically I do a deck or fence in a couple long days and then nothing sometimes for weeks. I'm looking for something a little more steady. Just curious what others are doing. I think I could do 10 jobs each week with my schedule. Does that seem about right?
Old 05-05-2003, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is my 3rd year, but my first gearing toward full time. I'm neck deep in my full time job and have two young daughters. Still, time can be found if you want it bad enough. Once you start to line up your client base and establish a schedule things will get a little bit easier. That's where I am beginning to get right now, but still busting bottom building a good base.

I do the few small commercial accounts I have on the weekend because it's easier to service them then. I do the residentials in the evening after my full time job hours end.

I know a guy that has been working for the postal service for a very long time. He's just a couple of years away from his pension so of course he has to stick it out. The past two years he cut 20 accounts in 2 - 3 days - solo. His main mower at the time was a 36 inch wb. He would go out on Saturday and cut as many as he could & get the rest after work in a day or two, weather permitting. This year, he's got a crew in the field full time & he just uses banked vacation days to pick up the slack when he's booked. He's grown into Z riders & his business is starting to take off.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

If you have a full time job and want to start part time, i'd advise starting slow and adding business as you feel comfortable. As everyone says, quality first. This is my first year in business P/T and it's been wild so far. I only have 4 properties, but the spring cleanups were time consuming as they are 4 rather large properties. I've turned down a few jobs (politely) because I'm rather busy and don't want to start off cutting corners just to get the work. With kids, my schedule can get screwed up, so on 3 of my properties I bid on yearly maintenance with the understanding the grass would get cut as needed. More in the spring and less during the summer as the grass grows. That helped by making my cutting days more flexible without the customer thinking I'm padding the bill. If I'm going away, I can mow the day before even if it's only been a few days. Might be a bit more work, but I can maintain quality and make my schedule more flexible. I've learned a ton very fast. Reading here helps,living it makes it makes sense out of what you're reading. Every time you do something you'll learn a little bit more about what works and what doesn't. Being part-time means you have to be creative scheduling your work.
It can be challenging, but also the best thing you'll ever do. I can't wait to get out of work and go do "my" work. My mental attitude has never been better. I just wish I had done this a long time ago. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2003, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a full time job as a firefighter and a full time job in lawn care
we change shifts at 3 in the evening so i can cut till 2 or so and go to work--get off at 3 the next day and cut till dark--every 5 shifts we get 6 days in a row off and it's wide open then
Old 05-09-2003, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm Part time, with a full time job. But I sub out alot of work during the week so that I don't have to turn down too many jobs. I want to get the word of mouth advertizing going, but it doesn't work very well if you keep turning down jobs... Hopefully I will be able to go fulltime someday, and of course I hope it's voluntary
www.RobsonIndustries.net
Old 05-13-2003, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm part-time also with a full time job. I have been doing this for about 3-4 years now. I eventually want to only be doing this, but I not about seeing how many yards I can get. I enjoy mowing and seeing an excellent lawn. My equipment, Bunton 60" ZTR, echo trimmer, lawnboy 21" push, 12' trailer, 95' Chevy...
Old 05-13-2003, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm Ptime w/ 40 hour week job including

benefits, vacation, and a desk job so getting out on Sat's and after work one to two days during the week helps me to stay in better shape and service only 5-6 yards right now. As my job may be in jeporady(sp) within the next year I am trying to learn all I can with a handful of yards while perfecting my craft. Also I am slowly trying to accumulate the gear and equipment necessary for when I go FT. For instance for fathers day this year I asked my wife for some Quietunes ear muffs and for Christmas I will be wanting a MagnaMatic balancer. Hoping to pick up some blowers, hedge trimmers, ch saw, etc from parents that are barely used.

I can't begin to describe how much I have learned on LawnSite and from talking with a close friend that made the jump to full time 2 years ago. I'm trying to set up a day off to just spend it with his crew to pick up more knowledge.

6X10 tilt trailer
99 Great Dane Surfer 52" 22hp Kohler (w/ doubles and hmade stripe kit)
Robin trimmer
Stihl HH blower