Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-30-2003, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

New customers

I'm just starting and already I'm told to come back in 2 weeks (can't afford once a week) yada yada yada.
Didn't want to scare em off with a written contract as of yet but how do I get the point to them that every two weeks ain't gonna cut it? I was thinking of maybe measuring the grass...comparing it to the deck height and anything over 1.5 inches determines when i cut. Good idea or bad? Looking for suggestions
Old 04-30-2003, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Re: New customers

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy348
[B]I'm just starting and already I'm told to come back in 2 weeks (can't afford once a week) yada yada yada.
Didn't want to scare em off with a written contract as of yet but how do I get the point to them that every two weeks ain't gonna cut it?
You cannot afford NOT to have a written contract. This is how I do it. I sit down and figure out how much it is going to cost me to take care of the entire property for the entire season. Mowing, fert, weeds, shrubs, leaves. Then I decide how much I need/want to make. Then I give them a price......"$X takes care of your entire property for the entire year. I have prepared this contract, which protects you as well as me, I offer 2 payment plans, seasonal which is 10 equal monthly payments or the annual plan which is 12 equal monthly payments." That's it, don't apoligise for your price don't act or sound scared when you present it, act and sound like it's a great deal. Be confident in your ability and confident in your proposal. 95% of my customers choose the annual plan.

Quote:
I was thinking of maybe measuring the grass...comparing it to the deck height and anything over 1.5 inches determines when i cut. Good idea or bad? Looking for suggestions
Cut when the grass looks like it needs to be cut, forget about measuring it. I ususlly figure for between 32 and 40 mowings in this area weather dependent.

Planning man, planning. You might want to consider praying too.

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 04-30-2003, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

It sounds bad but raise your mower up a notch or two.LOL!!!!