Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2003, 02:24 AM

What allows you to compete....

When it comes to fertilization and weed control services, what allows you to compete with the big boys? In other words...what makes your service unique and easier to sell to potential clients? How do you convince them to go with you versus the larger more well known companies?
Old 04-30-2003, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

More personal service. I work solo and customers know who they will see each and every application. ED
Old 04-30-2003, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Doing quality work, personal service, a voice on the end of the phone instead of a computer, blowing off the sidewalks when I'm done, prayer and a ..............................

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 04-30-2003, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

personal one on one service. More options. NO chemicals you don't need. One person to do the fert, and mowing and watch for problems each week. I clean up after myself.

I don't even try to match the others prices. I can barely buy my materials for what one company here charges for an app.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

what allows me to do well is the fact that most of them have already failed the customer. my prices are higher, but my lawns dont look like thiers. was at a prop just today, chatting with the client, his property connects to the neighbors, my clients property looks great, but when u hold something green, next to something darker green, the lighter one looks real light. well, the neighbors lawn was so dark green, it almost looked blue. i told my customer to just watch, when the heat sets in, the darker one will turn to dust, his will still look good.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

bobbygedd, How did you reach this conclusion??? My lawns are a nice deep green and went through a nasty drought last year. I only had about 5% that didn't make a full recovery. Most of the problem lawns were full of thatch and customers were warned of potential problems. They found out after last year when your roots are not down in the dirt you'll lose turf !!!! Oh and by the way, my lawns are deep green because of the 2% IRON in all my fert except round 1 preemergent and fert/Merit. I don't blast my lawns w/ soluble N , like most around here do. ED
Old 05-01-2003, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am a "GREAT" salesmen........

I don't feed them any BS.

Like Paul posted, I apply what is needed, rarely over that, and the other guys, I produce results.............

And, I don't sell them useless stuff.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My work allows me to be part of the business, not necessarly compete because I charge more than the fast food applicators. Most of my customers came from word of mouth after I began fertilizing. They are not looking for cheap they are looking for quality from a local applicator. I use all granular fert with liquid weed. I answer questions personally and if I don't know I find someone who does.
I can't compete with TG/CL, Spring Green, Naturescape because if I had the turnover rate that they do I'd be way out of business.

I continue to generate work by letting my work be my business card. I continue to get customers one by one when they see my lawns looking good they ask the homeowner who does their fert and then it begins. I don't have many but the ones I have are profitable.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i reach this conclusion because 99 out of 100 times it is true. they pour the nitrogen on to get a good color, and by august they are dust
Old 05-01-2003, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well then I'm that 1 out of a hundred then!!! ED