Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2003, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Can I Use Double Blades On Gravely

I've been in the lawn business for 7 years and now I'm getting into it a little more. I have a gravely 36inch pro 150 that is 3 years old and after looking at some of your photos of lawns that have been mowed with double blades it looks like I don't have to spend all that time bagging. My problem is that my local dealer tells me that the only way to run double blades is to buy the newer model of the gravely walk behind. My mower is in great shape and when I ordered it I spent the extra money for the highest h.p. available . If you can help it would be great. Also if any double blades will work on this mower please tell me where to buy them. Thanks so much.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can run doubles on almost any mower. Whether they will do better for you or not depends on your mower and your conditions. You can try it without spending the money on the holder. Just put 2 blades in a + pattern and tighten down. If you like the results you can buy the holder from gravely.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dave
Here Is a 10 year old gravely 50" I Just Played With Doubles On. I Pulled It Out to Take a Pic For Bush-Hogboy. Give It a shot!!
John
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2003, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on what spindles you have for your deck, actually. What I had to do for my Promaster rider, since it has the cradles to hold the blades, was have the cradles machined to hold a second blade. The reason I had to do this, was that the cradle, a [ shaped channel that is connected to the spindle, is deeper than the thickness of the blade that sets inside it. Therefore, I had notches milled out of the cradles so another blade could fit in crosswise and the blades would fit right together. Now, as Hoss says, apparently there is a holder, which must be a different type of cradle, or something, to hold these. I don't believe I knew anything about this, but something DOES sound a bit familiar about it. I'm sure if you did a search using "double and blades and Gravely" as your words, you'll turn up plenty of info on this, because I know that I have posted on it before, myself. One thing I WOULDN'T recommend, is using washer between the two blades to make up the difference of the gap if you have these types of les. You definitely want as much surface contact from blade to blade when doing this. Also, you may want to go with a lnger bolt as you are losing that much more thread contact inside the spindle. I hope this helps, and good luck with it.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 05-03-2003, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Gamba
Dave
Here Is a 10 year old gravely 50" I Just Played With Doubles On. I Pulled It Out to Take a Pic For Bush-Hogboy. Give It a shot!!
John

John.
What kind the engine do you have in your Gravely I have one about 10 years old look like your but it is 36Ē is in good shape, and I have hard time mowing just a little tall grass because the engine loose the power and almost stop.(Blades) I took to the dealer but still the same Iím really frustrated, I Was think to change the engine It has a Kawasaki FB460V
Thank you,

Tony
Old 05-03-2003, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its A 15 Kohler It does well But In real Wet tall grass its a wast Of time. The Other day I Had It Pull Me With a Pro Slide and it Did Pretty good.
john.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Gamba
Its A 15 Kohler It does well But In real Wet tall grass its a wast Of time. The Other day I Had It Pull Me With a Pro Slide and it Did Pretty good.
john.

I guess I have to change the engine maybe is to old, I will try to get a 14hp or a 16hp Kawi.

BTW how can I know if is engine problem (no compression or power)

Thank you

Tony
Old 05-04-2003, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes Compression Test And Carb Condition.
John
Old 05-04-2003, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Super lawn
I Have seen 15 Kohler replacement Complete Engine In I Think Landscaper supply. just Make sure It will Fit Your Bolt Pattern And Pullys.
John
Old 05-04-2003, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Forgot It's early For 600 Dollers.