Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2003, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How many part timers and how many jobs?

I'm getting into the lawn care business part time at first. I would like to know how many of you do this part time and how many jobs do you do? I'm anxious to get into it ,but curious on how many I can handle. I'll be doing this by myself and have purchased a 36" w/b Exmark. I already had a trailer and push mower, trimmer, hand tools. I am also debating on just what all to get into. Do you pt guys just mow or what?
Thanks for the advice and comments. I have already learned a lot by reading this site from you PRO'S.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I am a part timer. I already have a full time job. I started this on the side because I enjoy mowing and being out in the beautiful weather. I also figured it was a good way to make extra money. I have a 60" Hustler with a 25hp Kawi, a 12ft trailer, and a 2002 dodge ram truck.

superman
Old 04-29-2003, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I was a part timer for 2 years w/a full time job. Just put in for a 30 day leave of absence. It would be permanent if my wife didn't tell me she was pregnant 2 weeks ago. I have more work than I can shake a stick at. I would suggest with a 36" w/b that you start with about 5-10 residential or small commercial properties. It is not about quantity, it's about quality. Do a good job on the ones you get and more will follow. I have picked up 3 big jobs this year from one yard I had last year. These are $100 and better per week jobs. Concentrate on doing a good clean job and your jobs will come to you. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

NYRookie, thanks for the advice. I agree with you 100% about doing quality work. I'm not interested in seeing how many yards I can do ,I prefer doing quality work. Each job you do you are signing your name to ,why would anyone want to fly through it just for the money and then have your name drug through the mud. I believe you hit it right on the head about doing a good job and more will follow. Good luck with the baby.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

leave absence??

How'd you manage the leave of absence. Thanks
Old 04-30-2003, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

This will be my second season doing lawn care..... I am a fulltime firefighter and our schedual allows use to have may days off for lawn care. A co-work has been in bus. for 17 years and had been doing part time for the last 5. He has taken 10 hours vacation when he's on duty to do spring clean-ups. I am sure it's hard when your full time when you work a 7-3 or 9-5 job, but it can be done. Good luck!!!

Dave

Old 04-30-2003, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i'm a part timer.. but it seams more like full time.. i work at night and in the day do lawns..3 hrs sleep a night is killing me. have about 25 accounts... and one townhome community... 18ft trailer that belongs to my dad.. 10 x 5 ft trailer.. 48 inch snapper walk behind, 48 inch z bobcat, 3 echo blowers, echo trimmer and hedges. 2000 2500 dodge ram 4x4..
Old 05-01-2003, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jeff_O, I wouldn't classify that as part time ,that's a busy schedule. I work swing shift changing between 1st, 2nd, and 3rds each week with different days off during the week. I'm thinking once I get it set up I can schedule my jobs on my days off. The only problem I see is cutting a customers lawn on a different day each week. Do you guys see this as a problem? Is it better to cut a customer on the same day each week? Firefighter Dave, your schedule is probably closer to mine, do you cut on the same day each week? Thanks for the input ,I'm learning a bunch from this forum.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

that's hard to do, it could rain that day, customers sometimes want there yard cust 7-10 days.. yeah this is more like another full time job...
Old 05-01-2003, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Tinman, I am lucky I guess. I figured this to be 1 of the busiest months for me, so I asked and I was told it was a 1 time only deal. I don't work production, I work in maintenance with 6 other mechanics and it was kinda slow. Hope it is a permanent leave though.:blob3: