Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2003, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ZRider stuck in the mud...

Yesterday I was sucked in mud hidden under leaves. Quickly mowing the perimeter of a large property. There was a low area that had held water. Tried to fight even though I knew better.

Neglected to invest in a small "come along", so...
Chain link fence detached, (which I hate reconnecting, I use a ratchet strap, but still), pulled out with the truck.

Since I'm on the subject of (1) being ill-equipped (2) not knowing how to operate machinery, but using it anyway.........
Ive been stuck with a Bobcat a couple times in mud, (trucks, chains, shovels, boards FUBAR). Never thought about using the bucket till I saw it done with expert precision, going back wards, in rain, in mud, up a long, steep grade.

The more you learn.....The more you earn.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

one of my most embarasing moments was having to accept the help of a homeowner (that I didn't particularly care for) when the ole lesco got stuck in a wet weather seep in a real bad downhill place. I had to have him drive my 4X4 while I steered the lesco. hated it. Ida rather got it out myself somehow but just couldn't.

GEO
Old 04-30-2003, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive been almost stuck a few times. You know the feeling...slip sliding and praying "Please let me just get a little farther then I wont have to look much more stupid".....hahaha

We have all been there before. Come-a -long is a wonderful tool to keep in the truck, oh yeah and a long length of chain just in case.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL......that sucks, I hate when that stuff happens
Old 04-30-2003, 11:57 PM
Banned

a pump blew on a sorry toro zmaster and we didnt have a come a long. me and my dumb as a bag of hammers nephew had to push that sucker a good 100 foot then push it up on the trailer.Dontr know what was the sorriest that zmaster or my mamas boy nephew lol
Old 05-01-2003, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Odin,

Remember the Z isnt like a car. He didnt have to sit and steer while you pushed....LOL!
Old 05-01-2003, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I keep my Grasshopper 721 around for just such occasions. Whether mowing too close to water or whatever, it has pulled the midmount out numerous time. One thing it does well
Old 05-01-2003, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Had my chariot stuck in a low spot, then got the bunton stuck trying to get it out. I had to hook the truck up to pull them both out.
Not funny at the time.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Getting anything stuck is not any fun in the least. I have long since learned to keep the come along and a 30' chain on the truck at all times. The worst part is not getting stuck but knowing as you go into the low spot this is not a good idea. I now listen to that little voice all of the time.

Gravely_Man
Old 05-01-2003, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got stuck twice last week with my Z rider. Both times it was wowing next to the same ditch. Just the yard on the other side of the ditch.

The first time I got stuck. The wheel on the edge of the ditch started spinning. Of course as I was trying to rock it out and it kept getting deeper and deeper. The mower began to fall into the ditch. I pulled it out with my truck. I had my customer back the truck up as I pushed the mower.

Fast-forward 2 days. Same ditch, next yard over. I was whistling away, mowing along. Then all the sudden, the mower stopped and sank. ****!!!! I tried rocking it out buy going back and forth with the levers. This time the mower slid sideways into the ditch.

I went and unhooked the trailer. Pulled the truck onto the lawn. Hooked up the chain, and started backing up. The Mower ran along about 20 foot of the ditch, titled sideways. There was no other way of positioning my truck. It finally rode up the side and popped out. It ruined the edge of the ditch, as the mower plowed along. The dirt and mud were piled up in-between the deck and footplate. There was a pile of dirt and mud on the footplate and seat. ……. What a gad blasted mess. The whole time I was hoping I wasn’t bending anything. There’s a lot of stress when you’re pulling the mower like that.

Its seems to still be cutting great. It runs beautifully. I hope the next time im whistling away, and mowing with out a care, that I don’t get it stuck that bad again.
Rhode Island

2003 Ford F350 Dully V10 4+4
2003 Bobcat 61 inch ZTR, 25 horse Kolher
2002 Bobcat 54-inch walk behind, 17 horse Kawasaki
Stihl Back blower
2 Stihl strait shaft weed whackers
Stihl Chain saw
Little wonder hedge trimmer
Toro 22
9 foot Fisher plow
12+6 trailer
Red Max 8000 blower