Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-02-2003, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I thought a big ZTR with big fatty tires would not get stuck it would mow soggy areas and such better than a 21"do to its high flotation????
Old 05-02-2003, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you get stuck in a spot where you can't get something else to pull you out, you can take a fence post or a stout 2x4 and use it to twist the mower using the lever on the front casters. It's not easy but you can get out of a bad spot, without help. I'm solo and have did this more than once, once walked my z about 15' like this.

Everyone is a product of their choices, not their circumstances.........

I don't normally talk to Obama supporters, but when I do, I usually ask for large fries...............
Old 05-02-2003, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dropped my 48 hydro into a soft area the other day. Trucking right along one minute & the next I'm half sunk and digging a hole to China in a small are behind some trees!!! I just let go of the mower and stared at it sitting there half sunk as it cut off. I'm thinking to myself, man I hope nobody is watching this show! Embarrassing. Then, as I walked around the side to get a look I stepped into an open hole covered with leaves !!! A couple of 2x4s and a little pulling got the mower out & luckily, no fx ankle from stepping in the hole.

As for this property I'm taking some gravel and topsoil next trip for the hole & definitely NOT putting the 48 behind those trees.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok ok..

Yep, I had even my little 32" Metro stuck in mud. Not really stuck, but enough that the tires wouldn't go forward or back for traction and basically had to either push or pull it out of the muddy hidden pile it was stuck in.

Now I had a Woods 44" that I guess is set up like a Grasshopper.. It has the deck in the front, 2 tires on each side of the operator seat, followed by a third wheel in the rear that trails along like a tricycle wheel.. I find that I get that stuck alot easier than I do anything else.. Is that because the third wheel can lift the drive wheels off the ground when going up or down hills and therefore losing traction?

Gary
Old 05-02-2003, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, got my 48 walkbehind stuck in a sink hole today. There were apparently a lot of boulders in the lawn area that were filled around.

While I was mowing today, a whole about three feet across and about 18 inches deep suddenly gave way under the right rear tire of my WB. Sunk it real good. Wished I'd had an electric clutch because in the time it took me to lock the thumb locks on the hand grips and reach up to disengage the manual clutch the blades ate a good bit of dirt. Took me a little bit to figure out what the heck happened too.

NO WAY I could power out of it but I somehow managed to lift the mower out by myself by lifting the front of the deck and walking it out. Luckily no damage to the machine or me.

This happened just as a schoolbus full of kids stopped to let the customers kid off about 100 feet away.

My first thought after not being able to power out was, &#$@, what am I gonna do now? At first, all I could think of was to pull it out with the truck (I work solo so nobody to help), but didn't want to sink that too, dig up the lawn or damage my machine.

I always wondered why there was a mound of topsoil nearby. The customer said that it used to open up every year but stopped.

I left a traffic cone so no one will fall in it and will go back tomorrow to fill it in.
Old 05-03-2003, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

it's nationwide!!

i had a Diesel Chopper buried 2 days ago......had 12 rachet straps hooked together to reach my trailer uphill from it.......2 hour ordeal.

then...minutes later both Walkers stuck too!!

gotta love $pring!!
Old 05-03-2003, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Member

?bucket?

what is a bucket used for totalcare. do you fil it up with something and use it as a anchor. i cant guess.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

jman - I think what he means (at least what I've done with my tractor bucket) is you use the bucket curl to push you out. You put the bucket down with the open part down, but some down pressure on it and then curl it up. This will push you backwards.

I once saw a guy with an articulated loader wiggle his way out of mud like a snake once.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thats alright.i got my case backhoe stuck once.i used the hoe to lift it out,but i ended up calling a rigging service because it was just taking to long to pull it out using the hoe boom
Old 05-03-2003, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Member

oh okay

thanks i didnt know he was talking about a tractor. When was working on installation of irrigation on a golf course i watched a guy drop his track hoe in a ditch. This ditch was about 15 feet deep and about 10 feet wide. We worked his way out with arm. I would have craped my pants but i guess he had done that before.

On the stuck bit. I keep a few 2x6 in the truck and wedge them under the tires and work my way out of the mud. One thing i have found useful when in muddy situations is watching the front wheels. If you reverse and make them pivot, when they get sideways is can give just enough resistance to make the wheels slip and that is all she wrote. I try to make sweeping turns so the castors just a little and slowly make my way to drier ground.

My dad gets stuck all the time with the walkbehind(kinda easy to push out) since i got the super mini he doesnt get stuck as much. sorry this is long but i had a lot to say.