Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2003, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

new employee nightmare

So here it is, my regular guy quits on me last week to do something "better" (what could be better than this), anyway, so I hire a new guy who started today. He tells me that he had some experience, so I give him the basic run down of the mower operation (an exmark metro 32") and figured that would be good enough. Boy was I wrong, first house he manages to crash my mower into the customers garbage pals and into his front door. I ran over to him and he told me he was a little rusty, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt and let him continue. Next, he manages to mow over the customers brick border to the garden and as I turn to see what the noise is I see him being dragged by the mower on his butt. At this point the mower is doing a wheelie and comes to a grinding stop on top of a huge stone but not before sucking up some hedges in the garden. Needless to say the blades were warped and pretty much unrecognizable. Thank god that seems to be the only damage. So he no longer works for me. It's really hard to find good help.
Theres no real point to this story, just wanted to tell someone. Thanks for listening.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

wow! that guy sounds like me when I started but all of the events you describe never happened in the same day!

unfortunately for me, I had to stand god for my mistakes.

one question: were your kill switches operational?

monday I had an accident where I had to let the lesco go, and it was dead 3 or 4 feet later.

GEO
Old 04-30-2003, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Grasskeeper,
I was raised in Albany and spent brief time in LI working in NYC.
I say that to say this................
What the F*** are you doing letting a brand new employee run any mowers, on a customers property, TWICE!

"Benefit of the doubt"? Why would you subject your self to that kind of liability?

Anyway,
I had a new guy work w/ us, a couple days ago, a friend of a neighbor blah,blah...........
This guy was worthless and towards the end of the day, ran into the garage of this customers $800,000 home to ask to use the bathroom. That just crawled all over me, in 5 years i have never used a customers bathroom!! I had to apologize and so on.

He to, said he was experienced, but he wasnt even allowed to look at the mowers.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, that does sound like a nightmare. After going thru countless workers myself, Ive' come to the decision that I will just do it myself. I have very good equipment and keep my accounts comfortable for me. Heck, I can start when I want, Stop when I want and take off when I want. If I get a call for new business, I usually bid real high to keep from getting over extended. Problem is I still usually get them
Old 04-30-2003, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is why I work solo!!! ED
Old 04-30-2003, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I too agree with working solo because of all the CR@P out there.

Too many think this is easy work, or say they have done it, but in reality maybe only in their little mind!...hahaha

Glad your new fired employee didnt run over anybody!
Old 04-30-2003, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will only be a solo op from here on in because of our "labor shortage" out there.

I'm starting fresh with only 1 account so far this season....I'll get there!
Old 04-30-2003, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ya know I worked as a manager for 6 years at a medium size LC company and to me the worst thing (other than no common sense) was employees that had expirience.

The first thing on training day was "forget what you know about mowing lawns cause I want to re-train you the way I want it done"

Honestly I would rather start with a new person, no expirience, but great common sence.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That sucks......
Old 05-01-2003, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks, I need a good laugh tonight. I feel for you. Been there. The stories are endless. I train people on the trimmers and stick edgers. Mowers are big toys that can do real damage. They only get to those when they prove to me their brain is working.