Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-01-2003, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 65hoss
They only get to those when they prove to me their brain is working.
And you have an employee that fits that mold?......hahaha
Old 05-01-2003, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by crazygator
And you have an employee that fits that mold?......hahaha
Which one and what day? haha
Old 05-01-2003, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jeez Louize!

That is truly a horro story!

As a solo op I have this sinking feeling that when I hire a helper he's going to cut off his arm, destroy my equipment, kill a citizen and rip apart a near by cat...maybe the last one isn't so bad.

But seriously folks. I'm a safety freak and I've sliced myself so many times it's scarey. Can't imagine what hiring a person confortable with minimum wage + an end of the week bonus would do !

Have a budy of mine that has Fridays off this summer from a teaching job. Says he wants to work with me then. He & I could do my two biggest accounts and nock them off in 7-9 hours probably....

Man, I'm still scared thinking about it!

Cordially,
S.

F-150
Wright Stander 52"
Tanaka 340 trimmer
Snapper 36" wb
Robin nb253 trimmer
Husq edger
Husq 155 blower
Old 05-01-2003, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's a catch 22. To be good, they need to think like me. If they think like me, I'm just training them to be my competition some time soon.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A long time ago when I worked for a commercial landscaper, new guys got the bull work. After you proved yourself, you got more and more responsibility. As a grounds crew supervisor for 2 different Colleges for the past 22 years, Ive found that people with a farming background make the best employees for this kind of work.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have reread this post twice. I don't understand what the problem is. The new guy was just trying to help out by sharpening the blades using rocks and bricks. What is the problem? Hopefully the customer was not upset and the only thing damaged was a set of blades. Just use this as a learning experience and don't let it get you down.

Gravely_Man
Old 05-01-2003, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LOL! That was a hoot. I can only picture that in my head.

I will not however, let this discourage me from growing my business to accomidate employees. Thats just how it goes. Live and learn.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dont be discouraged...be smart.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gravely_Man
I have reread this post twice. I don't understand what the problem is. The new guy was just trying to help out by sharpening the blades using rocks and bricks. What is the problem? Hopefully the customer was not upset and the only thing damaged was a set of blades. Just use this as a learning experience and don't let it get you down.

Gravely_Man

Im all for training, growing etc.....but after watching a guy take down a couple trash cans, hes probably gotta come off that mower, till I get him out in a parking lot or behind my house for him to get a feel for it...........( the mower!!). BUT before I can get there hes driven into the front door of a customers house. Are you gonna give him the 'benefit of the doubt'?
Old 05-01-2003, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with thw solo guys. I was a bigger LCO had a couple full time and a part time employee. Then decided to move back to my home town a teach and do lawn care on the side (I still make more $ doing lawn care LOL) I love being solo agian, and I had good employees. Its just less headaches, less stress, and in my case (after paying wages, taxes, insurance, and repair bills) not a whole lot less money. Less stress is worth alot to me...mom and kids love me agian lol.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Addict

Re: new employee nightmare

Quote:
Originally posted by grasskeeper
So here it is, my regular guy quits on me last week to do something "better" (what could be better than this), anyway, so I hire a new guy who started today. He tells me that he had some experience, so I give him the basic run down of the mower operation (an exmark metro 32") and figured that would be good enough. Boy was I wrong, first house he manages to crash my mower into the customers garbage pals and into his front door. I ran over to him and he told me he was a little rusty, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt and let him continue. Next, he manages to mow over the customers brick border to the garden and as I turn to see what the noise is I see him being dragged by the mower on his butt. At this point the mower is doing a wheelie and comes to a grinding stop on top of a huge stone but not before sucking up some hedges in the garden. Needless to say the blades were warped and pretty much unrecognizable. Thank god that seems to be the only damage. So he no longer works for me. It's really hard to find good help.
Theres no real point to this story, just wanted to tell someone. Thanks for listening.
I had to laugh when reading this. That would have been one to see (him being dragged by the mower). I don't think it would have been funny in your case.

No pics of the bent blades?