Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-01-2003, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Surveys

Have any of you guys ever sent out surveys to your customers? If so, what questions have you asked that you have found to be most helpful?

My hope is to guage how I'm doing and I plan on asking them to respond annonymously to get a more honest answer. I'm sure I'm providing quality service but hope I'm paying attention to all the little details.

Any suggestions would be great!
60" 25hp Bobcat ZT-225 w/ back vac
54" 20hp Hydro Bobcat w/b
21" MTD
Stihl BR600,BR340,Husq 325L,KM85,FS45,MS250C, MS310,Echo PB620
Husquvarna
Little Wonder 10hp blower
(2)7.5' Meyer Poly plow
Meyer Mate Spreader
and a CRAPPY SnowEx 8000 V box spreader that I should have NEVER bought!
Old 05-01-2003, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a good idea. I was planning on using something like that this year too.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I send out a newsletter called LAWNEWS every other month. In the newsletter is a survey from time to time. Covering items such as quality of work, knowledge, crew appearance, timeliness, and value. I scale them from 1-5 with 1 being bad to five being excellent. We get mostly 4-5 and everyone seems happy. It is a good thing to do. Lack of communication is a main reason for losing accounts.

Since I said this I would like to say something else here. You guys up north where the snow flies talk about sending out your contracts in Feb. for the coming season. Maybe if you kept a line of communication with these clients it would be easier to retain them. I know you do snow removal for many of your accounts so that would take care of that end. But I am talking about the ones you don't do snow removal. Give them a call and ask them how they are doing. Don't try to sell them anything just ask how they are doing. Learn their kids names. Ask how everything is with the kids. Keep a box of dog biscuits in your truck and give one to every dog you see. (when you see a cat, KICK IT) haha. Send them a Christmas card and thank them for a good year. Have a Christmas party and invite your condo board of directors, property managers, and business owners you do business with. I do this and I have to tell you that it is hard to fire someone when they feed you! These are just some of the things I do and have done with great sucess so hope it helps you all.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jesus, why don't why have them all for christmas dinner, maybe even take them on vacation, heck why not even invite them to stay at our houses. WOW. I send christmas cards and do other things but getting to close may seem a little wierd.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nelbuts; I send all my clients a pointesstia for Christmas ( or other approiate gift for holiday). They almost always call to ask me about their plant and keep contact throughout the off season with questions on how to care for the plant.It is a reminder of where it came from.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The last few years I have taken a digital picture of my customers lawns when they are looking great. Great stripes on green, green grass, under a nice blue sky. I then send them a Christmas card with that picture on the front that says "remembeer when your lawn looked like this? - Happy Holidays". They LOVE the cards.

As far as the surveys go, I'm pretty sure I want to do them. I just don't know if I'm going to do it annonymously or not. Still unsure of what questions to ask or if anyone will even take the time to fill one out.
60" 25hp Bobcat ZT-225 w/ back vac
54" 20hp Hydro Bobcat w/b
21" MTD
Stihl BR600,BR340,Husq 325L,KM85,FS45,MS250C, MS310,Echo PB620
Husquvarna
Little Wonder 10hp blower
(2)7.5' Meyer Poly plow
Meyer Mate Spreader
and a CRAPPY SnowEx 8000 V box spreader that I should have NEVER bought!
Old 05-02-2003, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

This is a great plan! Keeping open the lines of communication with your customers is key. This shows them that you care and just don't want to take their money. As pointed out this will also help to retain clients.

Gravely_Man
Old 05-04-2003, 02:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Over the slow season it would be a great idea to do something like these ideas.

I'm with Gravely_Man on this one. Even further than getting them to keep you in mind, it goes to make a great, personal impression. It says "we care". Even nowadays, that matters to people.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

we usually send out our surveys in november...received 100% of them back last year. It lets us know what we can improve on and it always makes the custoemr feel like that are in control of the improvement as well.

we ask questions about service, quality, management, billing, etc.