Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2003, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Weed control...sprays VS granular

I have about 1 3/4 acres that in the past two years have been sprayed for weeds at a cost of $220 Can/year.

The spray seemed to do a good job, but with two small kids, it's hard keeping them off the grass for 2-3 days, and with some people against spraying, it seems like the thing to do.

I guess my question is do granular weed control products work as well or better than sprays? Are there any major pros/cons with the two? The granular seems a bit more kid friendly to me. One thing I did find about the weed spray was when it was applied, we had an overly dry summer and I found the grass seemed to suffer a bit after it was sprayed.......it might be a coincidence too but............

I have a tractor and tow-behind spin spreader to apply the granular with as well.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Addict

Liquid always works better than granual. Liquid will make contact with the leaves, granules fall to the ground, some of it. Stay off the grass for 2 to 3 days? Just until dry.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm with greenman, liquids work much better than granular. Also until dry but suggest children and pets to stay off for four hours. I would think the granular would have to be dampened to work and if not would persist and be of greater concern as far as children go. Check out the PMRA site in Canada. It is produced by Health Canada and will give you information on the concerns you have.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Especially for broadleaf weeds, granular is mostly effective if the turf (and weeds) are moist so the granules "stick" to the weeds. After a rain or while the grass has dew on it are wonderful times. You should make sure it won't rain for at least 24 hours after application.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pain it the butt, and poor results. Just get a sprayer and spray the weeds.

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 05-06-2003, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

It may prove to be wasted time but my supplier has talked me into trying MILLENIUM ULTRA weed & feed. BUT, I'm only going to try it on a couple smaller properties so IF I have to re-treat it won't be a big deal. I'll give a full report later...

DaleL
Old 05-08-2003, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

there is no questiion about it, when it comes to weeds liqiud is the only way to go, think about penitration the plant leaf has poors just like your skin what will your skin absorb faster lotion or rock salt.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

there is no questiion about it, when it comes to weeds liqiud is the only way to go, think about penitration the plant leaf has poors just like your skin what will your skin absorb faster lotion or rock salt.