Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2003, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

sod (centipede)

Alright any expert advice on this would be helpfull. Yesterday I decided to till up all the dead areas of my yard and lay sod, so my whole yard would be grass. Now the pick problem is my yard has already been fertilized so existing centipede is full and a very dark green. The sod that is in various areas just looks yellow compared to it. So how do I achieve consistency throughout my yard. It was 2 pallets added to 3000 sq ft front yard. How soon can I fertilize the sod and what is the best fertilizer to use on the sod? I fertilized the existing yard with vigoro turf builder for centipede. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-03-2003, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

We use alot of centipede, and we fertilize the day we lay the sod. I would recommend not as heavy on the intial app., but centipede likes "Iron", iron will make centipede turf look really good.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey neighbor, I have not had much luck with centipede in my yard, too many trees. I use St. Augustine now for me, and my customers.
I agree iron would probably help "color match" the new sod.
I have had good look with Scott's for new lawns.
I have a 8 pallet job in Milton next week and that is what I will use there.
LOL
Old 05-03-2003, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

water it

if the sod i yellow it might have stayed on the pallet too long, and got to hot. You can fert sod the day it goes down. usually under the sod. Where do you get cent sod from. I like cent but everyone around here wants st augustine, but i try to talk them into a more easier to maintain lawn, nobody likes to listen to me. Their neighbor has st aug so i want.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Now the pick problem is my yard has already been fertilized so existing centipede is full and a very dark green.
The first problem I see is the color of your existing Centipede. The color of Centipede should be apple green at best, never dark green. Dark green is indicative of improper fertilizer(too much nitro). It will look dark green and lush for a year or so but the degradation process has begun. With the combination of too much nitrogen and current soil conditions you accentuate the chlorosis problem (yellowing). Adding iron will help blend the colors. Centipede grass is what it is and doesn't work well on steroids (Nitrogen).