Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-14-2000, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high NOT BAD FOR 200 HRS walker has to have the worst design deck on the market .yes it can cut great but look at the damage it does when you bust a sheer pin. to many headaches for me .i never heard of breaking a shear pin and totaly ruining your mower deck. this deck wont cut right it wont pick up half the clippings it plugs up every outher strip.the deck cracked on the left side and the blade cut right through the deck on the right side .so i have to weld together my 200 hr old deck.look at it close the whole damn thing is all jacked up . not to mention this mower already had a new motor at 150 hrs due to bad design on dipstick tube. but guess who had to pay the 1400.00 to fix it so lets here it bob walker if your lurking out there whats the deal
Old 09-14-2000, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Walker makes this design for a pacific purpose and you now figured it out, if you break a shear pin you dont break the gears, shafts ect. We use to run scags and when you hit something the gear box went big $$$$$$ Having over 2000hrs on Walkers I feel i have some knoledge on these mowers and they do have a good design (not perfect but good)What would you rather replace 2blades and 4shear pins for say $25.00 or gear boxes, shafts ect.We carry extra shear pins and check them after 20hrs use.
Old 09-14-2000, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I dont have a Walker mower. The one thing that turned me away from them is that you have to change decks if you want to side discharge,mulch, or bag. They need to come out with a universal deck.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 09-14-2000, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

landscaper 3 i would much rather replace the gear box than replace the deck look at it close it is shot
Old 09-14-2000, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you hit something (Hard) with the side of the deck like a (light pole) like i did you will bend the deck in and the blade will hit the deck, break the shear-pin and thats that, other way is hit (Rock) done that too, ounce agian break shear pins EASY-EASY fix rather that then a $800gear box, check your sides (DECK) for blade clearance your blades might be hitting. We had a friend go to the Walker convention for us do to business (not one problem you discussed out of 10,000plus people??
Old 09-14-2000, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

the pins break even if you dont hit anything. then it sounds like the whole thing is going to blow up from them blades hitting everything under there.killing the deck
Old 09-14-2000, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sound like you have clearance problems, tilt deck up and spin blades see if they are hitting the sides of the deck, also check the weld strip around deck to see if damaged. If everything spins freeley then put new shear pins back in tighten wisely and crank those blades on hard as you can to prevent slippage. First check your deck sounds like your blades are hitting the deck (replace with fresh blades if they hit each-other they might bend) I am truly sorry for the problem you have and I do hope it works out fine for you.
Old 09-14-2000, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

After reviewing your picture We noticed the following/ looking at deck the right lower baffle is bent badly, upper left deck it self was hit hard many times, left lower GHS baffle badly bent. Of all our Walkers we have owned some well over 1000hours our decks NEVER LOOKED THIS BAD. and we do spring and fall clean-ups way up here in Maine and our mowers take a beating. This deck has to have more than 200hrs on it did you buy like this or did you do it. Also noted you have the old style wheels on your deck they have updated the GHS wheels for those.
Old 09-14-2000, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have about 450 hrs on my deck and it doesn't look anything like that. I have one bad cut from a piece of granite that got caught between the deck and blade. It looks like you must have alot of rocks where you cut to get that kind of damage. I break lots of the small shear pins but only have damaged one set of blades because of it, I usually get it shut down quick enough. I have also broke two of the roll pins on the shafts when I tipped up the deck. I can't get over the amount of damage to that deck.
Old 09-14-2000, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Junk the deck and buy a new one, complete except for the mounting frame for$1400.00....ALSO,, only tighten blade nuts to 40 ftlbs. If you over tighten consistently you will blow the gear boxes.