Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-03-2003, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Electric Clutch troubleshooting help

I posted this in the mechanical section, but figured more knowledgeable people would see it here:

I have picked up a used '98 Toro midsize belt drive wb, but can't get the blades to engage. I've tried the following.

1. bypassed the operator control bar switch with a jumper, no luck.

2. bypassed (?) the PTO pull switch by disconnecting the contacts and touching them together.

3. Used a seperate power source hooked to the clutch's terminal and it fired right up. So apparently the clutch itself is not the problem.

4. Checked the 20amp plug-in type fuse someone had rigged by the switch. I also notice this is a pull type pto, not the original switch type. Perhaps this is not the first time it's had problems!

Does anyone have any tips on what else I need to do to get it working? I really want to avoid trucking over to the dealer if it's something simple. But wiring stuff gives me a headache.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What does it do, make like a "hiss" noise when you hit the switch?

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Try replacing the actual blade engagement toggle switch. I had a bad one on one of my exmarks that caused the starter to stay engaged while the engine was already fired. It would even make the mower start with the ignition switch on off. (no wonder manufacturers say to disconnect the battery when servicing!) It took me a couple of hours and nineteen 20 amp fuses to hunt down the problem.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Runner,

That's what mine is starting to do....but only if it has been running a while and is hot.

It works fine on the first 'cold' engagement, and in a pinch I can physically rock the blades to get it to engage when hot. Sometimes it will engage 'hot' if I drop the rpm's down to idle.

Ever check out the hissing at night? Pretty little sparks.....

1100 hours on it so I guess it's about time to replace the original clutch huh?

How many hours (generally speaking) can one expect to get on a Wagner clutch? I'm running a Lazer Z with a 23 Kawi.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mine started doing that 2 years ago, and I told myself "Looks like I'll be replacing THAT next season." Well, I got through all of last year with it, and STILL working with it by lowering R's and such. THIS season, I'll probably have to change it, ...who knows....

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.