Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2003, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Just beginning, any advice?

Hi, I'm Billy, a 20 year-old college student in NW Fl. I'm looking to start my own small landscaping/lawn care service. I'm probably not even using the correct terminology. I'd like to mow, trim, edge, and do other basic maintenance for folks, taking on the occasional flowerbed or landscaping project. With this I'd like to make between $500 and $1000 a month, working about 4-5 days a week during the summer season, then lessening my workload from august to next, May for school. If anyone has any advice for me on matters such as: What equipment to purchase, what brand of equipment, where to seek the equipment (ebay, pawn, dealer, etc.), how to save money on the equipment, and most importantly how to get customers... feel free to share. Thanks for you time,
Billy
Old 05-04-2003, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

the best advice that I can give you is to read over a lot of these posts over and over again...you can gain a lot of experience and information about different models, business info, etc. Talk to other business leaders in your area, accounts, and lawyers.

But of course the best thing is first hand experience. You will learn from your mistakes..I am sure a lot of us have learned from our mistakes. Only you will know what works and what doesn't work.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Open your local newspaper and look under the Help Wanted ads. Look for one that says "Lawn Maintenance" And when you apply and interview with them, tell them one thing "I want to learn and will be a hard worker."

Learn the biz while you are in college and if you like it you can do it full-tim after college.

You'll make more money, less headaces, less screw ups, less damage to properties, and you'll have more time to chase ladies!