Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2003, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Auroris, thanks for the info on the proslide and the link. That really looks like the ticket. It's a little more money than other sulkies but it may be worth it. I would like to hear from someone who has tried one of these. Do they work as good as their video shows?
Old 05-16-2003, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a thread with pictures from me with a 32" Exmark Metro belt drive using a Pro-Slide.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...metro+proslide

I bought the 32" Metro last spring. Added the pro-slide to it not more than 2 weeks later.

Love it in every way.

Stripes are awesome, it's like surfing and skateboarding kinda all in one. Very smooth. Turning for me is fine on the pro-slide. Because I have a 32" which has smaller drive tires, I CAN spin the wheels if I'm on the plate and give the wheels full-drive power.. It caused mud-streaks as the tires tear into the turf for traction.. Like a burn-out..

But all I do is get the machine moving forward, and take 1 step forward onto the pro-slide and we're off.

I usually cut in speed 3 for high grass, 4 for easy to cut grass and move around from truck to property, etc in gear 5..

I wore out my pro-slide plate. It's like a tractor-trailer mud flap..

I bought a new one for $22. Goes on real easy with some nuts and bolts..

Gary
Old 05-16-2003, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Member

ProSlide & 32" deck

Hi Gary,

On your 32" Metro, did you have trouble with the front end being too light-weighted using the ProSlide?

Just curious, as a lot of guys (one being John Gamba in the thread-link that you posted above) recommend adding front-end weights.

How was your experience with this using the 32" deck?

Thanks

Cole
Old 05-16-2003, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pro-Slide

I weigh between 179 an 182 pounds. I've weighed the same since high school and that was 12 years ago. I don't have any problem with the pro-slide pulling me pretty much anywhere I want to go. If I see the front end coming up at all, which I tell you is rare, I squeeze the brakes to immediatly slow down and I "curl" up on the handlebars, there-fore forcing the front end down. (I have pistol grips, not ECS). The physical motion would be like like lifting a suitcase off of a table at waist height.. At the exact moment you have the suitcase suspended off of the table..

So by doing that kind of "curl" it forces the front end down and everything else is fine.

As I mentioned, I "had" worse problems by standing on the plate in wet grass at a dead stop and basically taking the brakes off quickly, which would result in the mowers tires spinning endlessly all the while I move forward 3 inches... Makes a nice smooth "trench" like mark on the grass.

Now that I know that that can happen, as I said, I simply get off the pro-slide, get the mower going maybe all of 2 MPH in front of me and then just step onto the plate as it's in motion.

I know this post is long and wordy but really, the pro-slide is very simple and easy to do. And it stripes awesome. See if your dealer will let you "test" one for even 1 day. My dealer told me if I didn't like it, bring it back. I never did.

You will wear out the "sliding plate" but as I mentioned, they can be bought for like $15 to $20. They will of course wear out much faster depending upon how much you ride across concrete surfaces...

There is a piston-loaded metal doo-dad that makes the pro-slide plate fold up against the frame of the mower when there is no body weight on it.

Mine broke off.

So my plate drags on the floor 100% of the time. I have no problem with that at all as I can walk behind the plate and control the mower fine or to either side of it if I need to.

I could get the piston-thingy replaced or fixed but actually prefer always having the plate down.. this way when I do a u-turn, I step off to say the right side at the end of a run, make the u-turn by swinging the mower around, doing my best to keep the inside wheel turning one way or another so as to not leave a divot mark, and then I get the mower going again maybe 2 feet in front of me and I hop on it.. Just like hopping onto an already moving escalator or those run-way thingys at airports.

Good luck.

Gary
Old 05-16-2003, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Re: Pro-Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by Doogiegh
Now that I know that that can happen, as I said, I simply get off the pro-slide, get the mower going maybe all of 2 MPH in front of me and then just step onto the plate as it's in motion.
Gary
Gees Garr, that's just too much fiddling for me. Watching for wheelspin, making sure you jump on after it's moving, watching so the front end doesn't come, boy when do watch how your mowing?????
Pete
Old 05-16-2003, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Once You Have Used a Pro-Slide No Other Sulky Will Do!

Weighted Front Is Necessary On 99% Of The Mowers With Sulky's

John
Old 05-16-2003, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not really

The guy's asking questions so I explained in minute detail exactly what I do when cutting the grass..

My point being that I don't stand on the plate when getting going initially from a stand-still. That's all. Thanks,
Gary
Old 05-16-2003, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Re: Not really

Quote:
Originally posted by Doogiegh
The guy's asking questions so I explained in minute detail exactly what I do when cutting the grass..

My point being that I don't stand on the plate when getting going initially from a stand-still. That's all. Thanks,
Gary
I think I can imagine how it works pretty well now. You did an excellent job of explaning how you do it Gary, and I appreciate your time in writing it up. Now I can day-dream about it in more detail!

From what John says, I'll probably plan on the weight kit, too.

Best wishes,
Cole
Old 05-16-2003, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Gamba
Once You Have Used a Pro-Slide No Other Sulky Will Do!
I'm realizing why I have so much argument about Hustlers and sulky's. You guy's are still mowing like you did 20 years ago. You can't mow backwards with a proslide......Oh well, I'll have suffer being different.....
Old 05-17-2003, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pete
If You are Mowing Areas That require Getting Off and On The Sulky Like Small Landscaped, Very hilly yards Then The Pro Is For You.
If You Are doing areas Where You stay On the sulky All The Time Then get a Rider.

Thanks john