Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-17-2003, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Gamba
Pete
If You are Mowing Areas That require Getting Off and On The Sulky Like Small Landscaped, Very hilly yards Then The Pro Is For You.
If You Are doing areas Where You stay On the sulky All The Time Then get a Rider.

Thanks john
John,
For me, if I "Was" off and on" the sulky, I'd walk my WB, which I do. And, if I stay on the Sulky, I use the sulky. No need for a rider, it's heavier and less maneuverable than my WB sulky. But, that's just me..........
Old 05-17-2003, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pete
Thats My Point, when You Need to walk Behind the mower "It the Pro" Just retracts Up into The Mower withOut Lifting It Up Manually, Then When You Are done Just get On The Pro and ride.

It Is More suited For a Bigger, Heaver Hydro Walk.
John
Old 05-17-2003, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Gamba
Pete
Thats My Point, when You Need to walk Behind the mower "It the Pro" Just retracts Up into The Mower withOut Lifting It Up Manually, Then When It Is More suited For a Bigger, Heaver Hydro Walk.
John
John,
I appreciate you help. I had the proslide. The difference is the mowers. If I had to use a normal hydro, I'd stay with a proslide, but (as you know), with the Hustlers, it's just a different story. With backwards and spins my normal routine, the Bullrider just works better. FYI, I'd really be afraid to mow in reverse at 5 mph, which actually can't be done without the proslide stubbing it's backend... and sending on my butt
Pete
Old 05-17-2003, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Switchless@aol.com, you said you had a proslide. What didn't you like about it. I was convinced to buy one until I read a little more (doggie doo ,riding over concrete ,backing up). Since I have not used a proslide or a sulky (1 wheel or 2 wheel) I'm really counting on the experts on this site to help me decide which one to buy. I don't want to buy the wrong one. I have a gear drive 36" w/b 12.5 kaw. What do you like about the Bullrider?
Thanks for all your guys help.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty58
Switchless@aol.com, you said you had a proslide. What didn't you like about it. I was convinced to buy one until I read a little more (doggie doo ,riding over concrete ,backing up). Since I have not used a proslide or a sulky (1 wheel or 2 wheel) I'm really counting on the experts on this site to help me decide which one to buy. I don't want to buy the wrong one. I have a gear drive 36" w/b 12.5 kaw. What do you like about the Bullrider?
Thanks for all your guys help.
Smitty,
Please remember, Iím probably not like any of the other guys, not that it makes incorrect. However, in most posts Iíve usually got a different way of doing things.
As far as the proslide, it just canít do things a ďcastoredĒ sulky can. Which is bad. However, most guys donít mow backwards as I do. So, take your pick. I really had a problem with spinning wheels because the proslide, since it slides on the ground, many times can have a lot of drag. As far as jumping off or jumping on after itís moving, thatís just way too dangerous and too much fussing for. Itís a nice thought but takes too much technique and attention to use. Also, it takes a lot of horsepower to make it go fast, at least it did for me, and Iím only 155 lb. Last, there are times when zero turning, it kinda stuck sideways in the ground if the ground was bumping or hilly. Didnít like that at all. And, zero turning at all (true zero turning Ėpivoting) took big horsepower to do. All this you donít notice until you use a castored velky. Just look at the obvious, the castored velky has big rolling wheels, the proslide just drags along the ground. You do the mathÖÖÖ
I doubt your machine will pull you at speed.
Pete
Old 05-18-2003, 04:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You should go out and demo a few different styles, get a feel for them, then decide which one best suits your needs.

One more thing I like about mine is that it's roomy. I don't have to "slip" my feet into a couple of slots like some other styles. The "chariot" design makes it nice when I get on and off the sulky for whatever reason (e.g. backing out of a soft area, stopping to pick up trash, etc.).

Like I said though, different strokes for different folks. Put a guy on any one of the many different styles long enough and he'll become proficient.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

switchless, thanks a bunch for your help. You really answered a lot of questions I had. The castoring velke you have, can you get that in 2 wheels and does that work good with a gear driven w/b?

gr grass, I would love to demo some of these ,but I've yet to find someone in the Cincinnati to Dayton Ohio area that has them in stock to demo. By chariot design I'm assuming you have a wheeled sulky. What "brand" are you using and is it a castoring style like switchless was talking about.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gr Grass, I went back and re read your replies. You already told me you had a castoring type and gave me a link to lesco ,and lo and behold they have 2 dealers in my area. Boy do I feel dumb ,I guess I should have paid more attention. Thanks again, I'm going to give these 2 Lesco dealers a call and see if I can demo one like yours.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The bullrider velky, IMO, is a best buy because it's build the strongest of any velky. Also, it won't allow the velky to "overturn" and flip if you hit a very large pothole. It has very wide mounting to the machine for stability. And, it's the only velky that allows you to choose "and switch" between fixed and castored mode in a matter of seconds.
Pete
Old 05-18-2003, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Switchless, you did it again. Answered all my questions ,some before I even asked them. I'll be checking out the Bullrider on your recommendation. I believe the ability to change between castoring and fixed is the way to go.