Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-18-2003, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty58
Switchless, you did it again. Answered all my questions ,some before I even asked them. I'll be checking out the Bullrider on your recommendation. I believe the ability to change between castoring and fixed is the way to go.
Smitty,
If you have a belt drive, the only way is using the fixed (trailing) mode. Also, if you run a larger machine 54", 61",72" WB even thought it's a hydro, with so much "deck overlap" , and a "small wheel base" you can "in essence" zeroturn while still using the trailing mode. This method let's you make a "very small" turn and not have to truly zero turn the machine, and makes for fast turning. This is what BHB does with his Scag and wonders why his machine seems to turn faster than a Hustler.
However, if you go to the newer type of Hydro WB, like a Hustler or Ferris that has a very wide wheel base you want to run the castored mode, because you must truly zero turn the machine. And, when you change to castored mode, you can then start backing up as far as you want, zero turning and backing around a tree to cut close as you want, and cutting sections that require all the grass to be blown away from a patio, deck or flower bed area. Overall, when you become a better mower with more demands put on your mowing than just "back and forth", the Castored mode with a wide stand mower will give you more productivity and more options.....
Pete