Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-06-2003, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Expensive Add and still no calls

I paid 128 dollars for two weeks of advertisement in my local paper. I have only had it in for three days since Saturday but i still haven't got any calls.There is about 6 other landscapers in the paper as well. A friend of mine paid 40 bucks for 4 weeks of advertisement and has got tons of calls and does things half baked and uses his craftsman lawn tractor , circle jerks, doesn't have a license or insurance and he is still getting work.WTF is up with that. The only bonus I have had is that I passed out about 40 flyers and got 2 calls but one was only for a one time mowing. Maybe I should just stick to flyers eh? This is kind of bumming me out.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It is a little late in the season here, as most everyone has already found a mowing company. Think positively and keep getting your name out there and you will get clients. Best of luck to you.

Gravely_Man
Old 05-06-2003, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have never had much luck with adds....every year I say I wont run adds agian its a waste of money...and every year I do it agian!! LOL I guess thats why Im not a brain surgeon. The only type of clients I get that seem worth keeping are from word of mouth type advertisment. It takes a long time is its draw back and as we all know we need money now!!! The fastest way I ever got clients is knocking door to door with my aerator ready to go...Id aerate a lawn and then tell them I do weekly contacts and it would be this much $ to do your lawn...I pickup alot of weeklys this way. Im sure Ill run an add agian next year and complain about not getting any calls...but remember one real good $40 a week contract that will have you back year after year and that $128 add pays for it self pretty quick....and even quicker if its a $80-$100 a week account...good luck
Old 05-06-2003, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I've never had any luck with newspaper ads either. I have run a month long ad in three papers for the past two years. Received no calls, not even price shoppers.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:07 PM
Banned

Re: Expensive Add and still no calls

Quote:
Originally posted by Dstosh
There is about 6 other landscapers in the paper as well.
Only 6? You're lucky! This is one of the reasons I don't advertise in the paper, in my paper there are a couple dozen ads at least!!

Plus I like to choose specific neighborhoods to work in (where I already have other customers), so I only do flyers for now.

Besides, a two week ad in my paper would cost alot more then $128. It's crazy how much they charge!

Good luck to you though.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I spent around $300 in newspaper adds last year and never got a single call either. I ended up pulling my ad instead of wasting money.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get this...I place an add in another paper for 44 bucks for 4 weeks...it only comes out once a week and the day It comes out i get a call...go figure

Thanks..at least now i know i'm not the only one not getting calls
Old 05-11-2003, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know how this goes. I placed an ad in a direct mail community newspaper for $34 an issue and haven't received any calls. Then, on a whim I placed an ad in the newsletter at the senior mobile home park where my inlaws live. This is kind of an upscale place where the people are very picky about how their places look. I spent $20 on an ad and have about $2K worth of work lined up and still more estimates to do. I think it comes down to people want someone who speaks English, shows up when they say they will, is nice to them and does good work. Do all this and you will get more work than you can handle.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I hate newspaper adds....most of those people are just shopping you. I do the flyer thing.... you target your customers and when business slows for me, the flyers come through everytime.