Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-11-2003, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

the problem is that anything you require the employees to do is work. So driving from jobsite to jobsite is a required job function and therefore they have to be paid for that time. Now you can make them do some kind of paperwork or something during the drives if you want, because they are on the clock (except for the driver of course, he is already working during the drivetime).

Bottom line is, you cannot tell an employee that you won't pay them for time riding between jobs, unless they are meeting you at the jobs with their own vehicles. Unless of course they are a sub and are using their own vehicle, then you can say that start time is when they get to the jobsite and when they leave the jobsite, but then they can't be stopping at the shop for equipment either.
www.RobsonIndustries.net
Old 05-12-2003, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Regarding breaks... similar laws apply here in Ohio. During the day breaks are taken at regular intervals depending on how long we are on one site.

I'm specifically referring to the morning 7-11 stop that is outside of breaks taken during the day.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes that need to be figured into the bid. You will have noone working for you if you did that.

My guys came in @ 8:00 am Saturday, and i bought them all doughnuts, and cappuccino's. Should i not start the clock until 8:30? No, it shows them they are appreciated. I start the clock at 8:00. If your budget is that tight, you need to readjust some things.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pay commission, as long as they make $5.15 an hour all your bases are covered. Also make sure they clock in and out though.