Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2003, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Long Islanders!

Recently re-started up my landscaping business, after a 6 year absence. It's just me right now and I find I'm a little rusty when it comes to giving prices.
One job in particular that I need to quote is for a thatching job in Smithtown. Customer has about 1/4 acre. Can you give me a range of where my prices should be falling?
Any other pricing guidelines for LI that you could help me out with would be appreciated. (mowing, aerating, etc...)
thanks!
Old 05-28-2003, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Charge ALOT!!

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 05-29-2003, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Middle Island

for the thatch i would guess about 3 times the cost to mow. this is the way i do it. works for me. what other prices are you looking for?

how many accounts do ou have right now. I am a solo lco with 15 residentials and 1 condo complex. not bad for me to do part time.

I was thinking about running an ad for a working partner. Basically team up with another lco. My idea is that I would help with their customers and they could help with mine. not sure how I would work out the monay but if you are interested email me.

anyway let me know what pices you want.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

maintenace pricing

anyone have and suggestions for maintenace pricing in the long island area? mainly 1/2 acre and 1/4 acre properties?
Old 06-03-2003, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

to Lech615

Thanks for your help on prices for thatching. What about hedge trimming? I have a guy that asked me to trim his hedges. He must have about 40 bushes. They aren't really overgrown- but it's still a lot of work. Any thoughts on pricing? It's hard for me to estimate time- since I haven't done it in so long.
What about spring cleanups- how do go about pricing those?
I'm not really looking to take on any more work right now. You should just hire someone for $100 a day. Then you can get twice the work done and try to pick up some more lawns. You always run the risk of someone trying to steal your customers with a partnership. My fiancee is my partner- so that's pretty safe and she even helps me with some on the cleanups and other side jobs sometimes. Best part- FREE LABOR!
To the other guy that asked about lawn maintenance pricing- I'm a little low this year- trying to pick up customers. Never charge less then $25 on LI (unless the lawn is the size of a postage stamp). The size lawns you're talking about would be in the 25-40 range- depending on how many beds, hills, roots, it has. You really have to have your own range and go from there. Some lawns are just PITA- charge more for those- some lawns are a piece of cake- $25.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

that is basically what i thought the going rate was. thank you for your help!
Old 06-03-2003, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

as far as hedges go, I try to estimate my time for cutting and clean-up. You said you did not know how long it will take, so you will have to try and guess, maybe hedge your own bushes and see how long it will take. this is really the only way i can help you without actually seeing it. Spring clean-ups, basically it is a time thing again, also what you include with the clean-up. Many guys on this site how different definitions of a spring clean-up. SOme include edging the beds, some include weeding, hedge trimming, etc. It really depends at what you are considering a clean-up. me personally, I clean the leaves and other debris from the beds and turf areas, and usually edge the beds. When your customer asks about a clean-up, make sure you ask them exactly what they want down. I have been burned on the price by assuming I knew what the customer expected and they really expected more. If you can be more specific about what you will do, I will try and help with the price, at least give a ball park figure.

later,

carl
Old 06-04-2003, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Never charge less then $25 on LI (unless the lawn is the size of a postage stamp).
That $25.00 should be more like $30.00. We have a $30. minimum price. The only time I would charge less would be if it was a front yard only, and I was in the area already. That price would be $25.00.

As far as hedge trimming, we get $125.00 per hour.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 01-23-2007, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

paponte do you have a going rate that charges per 1/4 acre or do you just figure out how much time it will take. I ve been taking to some local lco's and it seem 30$ is the norm around here. Of course some larger properties can get around 50 -60 . But i havent come across to many 1/2 acre or even 1/4 acre property around here usally its been "60x80" or even smaller how do you price such a small area ?

thank you

21' lawn boy
Shidaiwa t272x trimmer
Echo trimmer srm-2601
Echo pb-400 backpack blower
Redmax cht220 hedge timmer

more to come...
Old 01-23-2007, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, old thread sure Vito would get a kick out of this one. Anyway to answer your question, I will not stop a truck for less than $35 unless it is an existing neighborhood then I will go down to $30, of course depending on time. Yes, unfortunately there are guys stuck in the 80's still doing lawns for $25.00. But then again their trucks, trailers, equipment, insurance , and workers are usually stuck in the 80's as well.