Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-10-2003, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Benefit of Kickers on a 36” Toro Proline

I mulch all the time with my 36” Toro Proline (made by Exmark) with a 12.5 hp Kawi. I never installed the factory provided kickers with the mulching baffles and plug since the kicker holes were not predrilled into the deck. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on how much mulching performance would improve if I did install them. As expected, now that the grass is tall and wet, mulching performance is pretty poor. Thoughts? Thanks.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Member

If you are not using the baffles you are not getting near all of the performance that your mower has to offer when it comes to mulching. Install them and you will see a dramatic increase in mulching ability. Almost all I do is mulch and I would not try with out the baffles,
Texas Bragg Trailer
2002 Walker 26 EFI
2003 Snapper 61inch WB
Gravely 36 inch WB
Snapper 21 inch
Stihl power Equip
Old 05-13-2003, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Jim. Sorry if I was not clear, but I did install the baffles and plug. It is only the kickers (one per blade) that I did not install.

David
Old 05-13-2003, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the kickers installed on mine and the mulching is pretty poor. If the grass is somewhat thick it will leave a strip of uncut grass down the center. I guess I should say the mulching ability is OK, but the overall cut is poor. I don't use it that much (small gates, postage stamp yards, etc.), but I still wish something could be done about it other than take it off.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I finally did install the kickers last month (took about 30 minutes). I found performance to be better, but only marginally. Getting rid of my gator blades and switching to the recommended Toro blades also helped a bit. However, I am still looking for ways to improve mulching performance.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I lowered the height of cut by a half inch and also tightened the blade belt some and this helped the cutting performance to a degree. I'm relatively happy with the overall cut now.

When the grass is growing rapidly and holding a lot of moisture it can become difficult to mulch some of my properties on a seven day rotation. A quick double cut and it looks just fine.

I'm glad to see you installed the kickers. I don't know exactly what they do, but I'm sure they serve some purpose or they wouldn't be provided with the kit. I'm also running the regular blades.