Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-14-2003, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Scag or Gravely? 13 or 15 hp?

The respective Scag and Gravely dealers in my area have quoted me the same price (3,000) for both the Scag and Gravely machines equipped as follows: gear (belt) drive, 15 hp Kawasaki, and 48" fixed deck. The Scag dealer was not sure if his machine was powered by a single or a twin Kawi--I'm pretty sure it's a twin . He has to order the mower, as he is a small mom-and-pop operation, stocking only the "big sellers": while he didn't have any walk behinds on the floor, he did have three Tiger Cubs ready to go.

Hmmmmm. . . .

The Gravely dealer was an entirely different experience. They had nearly the entire line assembled and on the floor, were helpful in the extreme, gave me a catalog, and quoted me prices that were below MSRP.

Obviously, the Gravely dealership wins that part of the contest hands-down. They also had a 13 hp Kawi twin wb w/ 36" fixed deck for 2,500. Is there going to be a noticeable (read that regrettable down the road) difference between the 13 and 15 hp? The dealer tells me that the 13 will have no problems whatsoever pulling a Velke. In fact, he claims a mower with an 8hp engine would do the job, but I am not so sure. The 36" deck poses no problem, as I can use it where the 48 won't fit.

The only reason I hesitate on the Gravely is I've seen several posts about belt wear/fraying issues.

Thanks for the help!

"If you don't have time to do it right, you don't have time to do it over."

(You were right, Dad. Thanks!)