Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-23-2003, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

NO, if they were what would they need you for?

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 05-24-2003, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bruce32 your right, I probably should of done it that way. However he was the last cut of the day so I figured I'd take the opportunity to show him how wrong he was.

This guy and I have gone around and around about this for three years and I've always done it my way. But this time he was addimate about it so I said "what the H@#$."

The last day there I was two days early, with all the rain we'd had it was obvious the grass needed cut. His exact words were, "let me check with the wife," her exact words were "yes go ahead, the lawn guys (truegreen) said it need it."

So there you go, I maintained and did light landscaping for them for 3 years and they ask the moron from truegreen if their grass needs cut.
Old 05-24-2003, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

ah yes, the old weed & fertilization program complaints. I make sure to tell the customers up front that you will not have a total 100% weed free lawn. I make sure to tell them that for they don't have a "dream" that the lawn will be weed free after only one application. Because in the past I have had customers complain about post-emergence and I have to explain to them that sometimes it takes mutiply applications.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Barkleymut,

You handled that like a Pro!

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 05-25-2003, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The customer being right is in direct correlation to how bad you need the money. Always was, always will be.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Member

id put it this way The customer is always right until he/she opens their mouth to complain.

Jay
Old 05-26-2003, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

NO! NO! NO! they are not but they pay our bills
Old 05-26-2003, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

no, the customer is not always right, i cant say that i always have been either but i do maintain alot of lawns whereas mr/mrs customer obviously cant or chooses not to even maintain one. i always listen to what the customer wants on the initial agreement and tell them what i can do and how much for. i dont mind an occassional "you missed a spot" or "please dont cut down that weed i'm nuturing over there" but i'm definatly finding less and less time and patients in my business to deal with constant complainers, you know, the ones who come running out everytime as you're loading your trailer . these folk are not the norm and if things dont change early on i think the best thing to do is loose them and spend that time looking for a reasonable replacement
Old 05-26-2003, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Member

As already stated the direct answer is "No", the customer is not always right.

However, it really depends on your definition of "right".

If the customer says they like their lawn cut to a height of 1", are they right? Well of course they are right, because it's what they want. If it was my lawn I would be right no matter what I want.

Now, is the customer doing what is best for the lawn? Of course not. That is why they hire a professional; to let them know that their ideas may not be best for the health of the lawn and/or may not be conducive to future plans for their property.

Of course it is ultimately their decision because it's their property. But that doesn't mean that you can't vigorously object to their decision. If it's a really bad decision you can always have them sign a disclaimer or refuse to do it.

Every customer that has come to me with a bad plan has received the same response; "I like the concept, but I really don't think it will come out as you envision in a real life application". I then offer one or more alternative plans and let them know that "in my experience" this is the best way to go. 99% of my customers will say "Well, your the expert; that's why I'm not doing this for a living". Not that I consider myself an expert, but in comparison I guess it works...

And I have never had a customer say "I really wish we had tried my idea". Because they are always happy with the end results.

So I guess the customer is not always right; however, they are the only ones that can OK the work to be done. So they are the decision makers..
www.RobsonIndustries.net
Old 05-26-2003, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

but, the customer doesnt tell us what or how to do the job. i personally will not raise or lower blades from job to job to satisfy each customers personal preference. i tell them how i run my business, then they can decide whether or not to hire us. we have a "standard cutting height". its the same for every property.