Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-25-2003, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Wanna Start fast

Hello all, a friend of mine and me are interested in getting into the lawn care services. We know someone in another county who has too many contracts and wants someone to take some over for him so he does not loose face. There are three commercial accounts needing mowed twice a month one is a hospital about 650 per month. I am very interested in starting my own business. I really don't have the money to go and buy all of my stuff and am unsure of what steps to take to start the "business end" of it. What are the steps for getting business licenses and such. I figured i could get the business license and get myself a business loan to buy some real good equipt. I don't want to go out there with a res mower and screw it up on my first job. Any input would be helpful Thanks.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello,
I am pretty new at my own business also. I sold my classic Corvette to buy my equipment and my truck. I paid cash for all but the truck. If you have something that you could sell, you can always replace this item in the future.

Good Luck
Bob
6x12' open trailer
1997 Dodge Ram
Old 05-25-2003, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Addict

OMG, you should've kept the 'Vette!
Old 05-26-2003, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Member

I still have one Corvette (1979). I still work my full time job in Tele Comm also, I am hoping to go in LCO full time in 2005. I have 2 Commercial Condo's and 8 residential homes, I hope to gain 40 more residentials before the end of summer. I will be putting out some door hangers in a couple weeks. I am not in a big hurry.

Bob
6x12' open trailer
1997 Dodge Ram
Old 05-26-2003, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Tele Comm

Lemme guess CATV contractor.. arent we all. I am also in that line of work looking to stay home some more
Old 05-27-2003, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Nope Not CATV. I got my start there about 15 years ago.
I work for Airnet Communications. We design and deploy wireless GSM Base stations. I was part of the team that built the wireless telephone system in Afghanistan. (phase 1).
I spent 5 months there. I am hopeing to get an oppurtunity to go to Iraq.

Bob
6x12' open trailer
1997 Dodge Ram
Old 05-27-2003, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Not alot of grass there!!
Old 05-30-2003, 03:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Former cellular Network Field Engineer - enjoying the sun and fresh air much more than the cool, air conditioned buildings filled with the constant whir of fans.

Best wishes this season.

Cole
Old 05-30-2003, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about in your state but here in Wa you can
fill out a business licesnse application online, and get your UBI instantly. If you are doing commercial accounts you will most likely need (and want) liability insurance, probably at least $500,000 coverage. It would be good to write a business plan as well. You can get info on this at www.sba.gov. It is a great site for new and old businesses. If you have decent credit you should be able to get a business loan fairly easily. I started my business for less than $10,000. Just make sure your buddy is really gonna give you the lawns he said he would. Good Luck.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Business Advice

Well, this would be my strategy for starting:

If you don't have the money to get all the equipment I would reccomend starting with what you can afford. Otherwise, what happens if take out a loan and find out you don't like the business? Or things don't go quite as planned, and you decide it would be better to go with something else. Then you are either stuck with all that equipment or you sell it at a loss. If the property is not too big there's no reason why you would "screw it up" with a 21" mower. I've done commercial accounts with 21" mowers before. You just have to be sure you get a decent brand. I have been the most satisfied with Snapper mowers, and one reason for this is that you get the same self-propel on the cheaper models that you do on the $700-900 commercial 21" models. And there's not plastic gears or junk on a Snapper. I've proved they will hold up to at least one season with around 30 residential customers without breaking down much. You'll probably want to spend at least $300 on an Echo Trimmer, but this still means you could purchase your minimum equipment to get started for less that $1000. I know it can be done, because I didn't have any other options in the past.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT