Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2000, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

On my way to a customers house today, the lady at the gate asked if I could give her a bid on a house close to the customer that I was going to do. The house was no more than 50 yards from my current customer. When I gave my bid on the way out, I asked the gatekeeper why the lady was interested in switching lawn care services because her lawn looked very well kept. She said the lady complained that, "The ladies doing her lawn now were a little high on their prices, and she wanted a few other bids." Come to find out I knew the people that she was refering to. They do a lot of yards around my customers and they do really good work. Am I wrong for feeling guilty about bidding to take their customer or would you just say "business is business".
The job would take about 45 minutes to an hour depending on conditions, and I bid $45.00 per cut, which I don't feel is a lowball price. Do you guys feel that I'm crossing that line of respect between fellow lawn care, or should I take it as it comes.
Thanks for any replies and sorry for such a long first thread.
Bobby
Old 09-20-2000, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Take it as it comes!!

Just as long as you can justify your price (no-low balling) and feel you can do as good a job or better..then business is business. She came to you anyways...not like you were trying to steal customers...
Old 09-20-2000, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm...

I would just bid it. It's not like you're trying to steal a job. The homeowner wants a bid, give it to them. If you get it and the other lawn service finds out it was you, just tell them it was business. Is it your choice to pick who gets the job? No, it's the customer. Then tell them no hard feelings are something and tell them that it doesn't change a thing between you and them. If I don't make sense, forget everthing I said. Have a good one.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 09-20-2000, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can empathyze with your predicament. Just tell these ladies next time you see them that YOU WERE APPROACHED by the customer, and that you had no idea that they did it until WELL after. Then, try to play it off by cool conversation. i.e. Ask them if they've raised their prices during mid season, and let them know if you've done the same. Just find some "in commons" that will let them recognize that you are on the same level as them. Also, let them know that had you known that it was THEM that did it, you probably wouldn't have even gave a quote just out of mutual respect. (even though the customer would just find someone else anyway).

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 09-20-2000, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

the best advice is to look out for number one.

other than that, if you feel that there may be a problem with what has happened, (and obviously you have questions about it or you wouldn't be posting to a bunch of strangers about it), I'd say to the thing to do is tell the lady that you'll do the lawn for the same amount that she is paying now.

I've done this before and if you get the job, no regets.

good luck.

GEO
Old 09-20-2000, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Free Enterprise, If she wasn't happy with her current lawn company, she wounld'nt be shopping around. It might as well be you who gets the job.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 09-20-2000, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll try to be short...since your in the area and you have them cutting around you,i beleive that by now you really should have a good idea what their rates are if not "shame on you" besides being the owner and labor of your company
its your responsiblite as the "salesperson" to know what your competion is doing. With that vitail info only you know if you made an emey..lets face it i would rather have someone accuire my account by being equal or higher in rates....."be aware of your surroundings"
"competion" as stated by lone star as long as you didn't "SCRUB OUT" you should never feel guilty about making your families life better.