Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-27-2003, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Need Suggestions on Upgrading

Im a 16 year old kid that lives in michigan and i have about 60 clients i mow weekly!, I got a old van that i put 2 22'' inch push mowers and i got this crappy $90 dollor trimmer! Im mowing from morning to night every day and im exhausted! i was a commercial walk behind mower that i can stand on that is about 3 grand. and any suggestions on a good trimmer?? is buying a used mower a bad idea? i know my push mowers are going to brake down soon since they are probally only ment for 10 lawns a week max. Please give me some suggestions and answers.
Thanks, Chris
Old 05-27-2003, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

dude

Your going to have a heart attack by the time your 20. I bought a used 48" Lesco gear walk behind a year ago for 1000.00 and I haven't had any problems with it. It was all I could afford at the time and after I bought it I cut my mowing times in half. It would probably last me another 8-10 years using it at the pace I am now. There is nothing wrong with used mowers, watch your hours when you buy and make sure of the condition...My Lesco only had 338 on it when I purchased it.

Good Luck
Old 05-27-2003, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

lildog132
Thats How I Started But I Had a 50" Gravely. Do What Louis says and You Will Do Fine, Get A Good weed Eater And A Better Blower Would Help ( Those Fall clean up's) The Only thing i Miss About the old days Is The Van Had captin Chaires, they Where Very Nice. Now I hang On Islands In the winter, Stay with it and you Will To!

John.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2003, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I think for starting out used is the best way to go. I got a used 48" commercial mower with around 100 hours for just under $2000. It is alot better than a 20", 6hp Murray push mower! I also got a used trimmer(piece of junk) from a "friend" and am currently ordering a new Stihl trimmer. I am getting it from a small local dealer that has several salesmen. By going through the salesman, I got a pretty good cut off the price. Try doing that.