Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-28-2003, 11:08 AM
The Green Way The Green Way is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: cali dreamin'
Posts: 45
protecting your business w/prenup?

I have only been in business for a handful of years but I was wonderin if any of you all have gotten prenups before you got married, to protect your business? My buddy just went through a divorce and his company was alot bigger than mine, in fact he took it over from his father and now he may have to sell it cause his ex-wife is talking half! After only 5 years of marriage!!!
__________________
"Oh he got all of that one! He's gotta be pleased with that, the crowd is just on its feet here, uh - He's the Cinderella boy, uh - tears in his eyes I guess as he lines up this last shot, he's got about 195 yards left, he's got about a - its looks like he's got about an eight-iron. This crowd has gone deathly silent, the Cinderella story, outta no where, a former greenskeeper now - about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a miracle - It's in the Hole!"
~ Carl Spackler (Caddy Shack)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-28-2003, 12:30 PM
Green Pastures's Avatar
Green Pastures Green Pastures is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Hampton, Virginia
Posts: 2,457
I look at it this way. If I feel like I have to protect myself and my interests from my future bride, she would instantly become my ex-future bride. At the very least I would get into some premarital counseling and discover the reason I felt I needed to protect myself. If I could not overcome these feelings I would not marry that woman.

Trust and love go hand in hand. You cannot trust without love and you cannot love without trust.

I believe that when you get married you are no longer two separate people, but that you really become one. One in Christ and one joint being working together for each other's interests. Laying down selfish interests for the joy of looking out for the other persons interests.

In a perfect world, where both parties involved are actively more interested in the others interests more than their own, it's a great relationship. This breeds deeper trust and love through appreciation of your partners devotion to you.
__________________
Scott

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-28-2003, 12:45 PM
Scraper Scraper is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally posted by Green Pastures
I look at it this way. If I feel like I have to protect myself and my interests from my future bride, she would instantly become my ex-future bride. At the very least I would get into some premarital counseling and discover the reason I felt I needed to protect myself. If I could not overcome these feelings I would not marry that woman.

Trust and love go hand in hand. You cannot trust without love and you cannot love without trust.

I believe that when you get married you are no longer two separate people, but that you really become one. One in Christ and one joint being working together for each other's interests. Laying down selfish interests for the joy of looking out for the other persons interests.

In a perfect world, where both parties involved are actively more interested in the others interests more than their own, it's a great relationship. This breeds deeper trust and love through appreciation of your partners devotion to you.
Nice view, but unfortunately the real world is a whole lot different.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-28-2003, 01:10 PM
Bluesteel Bluesteel is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Land of the Free, BECAUSE of the Brave
Posts: 731
I used to think a prenuptial agreement was selfish and just something to set a marriage up for a fall. But thereís another way to think of it. If your bride is only interested in you, then what better way to show it by agreeing to a pre-nup?

My best friendís uncle was getting a divorce. They ended up in the Judgeís chambers and the Judge asked what caused the separation. His wife got all teary-eyed and said it all started with the pre-nup. Blah, blah, blah Ö So the Judge gave them time alone. She convinced that guy that the marriage had been destined to fail with the pre-nup, but she really did love him, and things could be great (even better) if she just didnít have that ďthingĒ hanging over her head. So he called the Judge back in and asked if there was a way to revoke the pre-nup. I donít know the details, but the Judge made it happen. On the way out of the court-house, the tears evaporated and she started telling this guy what an idiot he was for giving up half of his property. He ended up getting the Judge to rescind that order.

I can still see a womanís side when it comes to property, possessions, etc. But a business is your livelyhood. How could someone justify a claim to half of that?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-28-2003, 01:20 PM
DLCS's Avatar
DLCS DLCS is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,365
I have to agree with Green Pastures on this one. There is nothing like a prenup to say I don't trust you. If there is no trust, there is no true love.
__________________
Mike

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-28-2003, 01:20 PM
Scraper Scraper is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluesteel


I can still see a womanís side when it comes to property, possessions, etc. But a business is your livelyhood. How could someone justify a claim to half of that?
The law looks differently on it, especially if the business is the sole breadwinner. You have to admit, at some point in time the noninvolved spouse is going to make sacrifices for the better of the company and that comes with a price.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-28-2003, 01:28 PM
Bluesteel Bluesteel is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Land of the Free, BECAUSE of the Brave
Posts: 731
Fine, then quantify those sacrifices and how much it helped the company to succeed from the point of the marriage. She deserves half of that increase. Not half of the entire value. Whoís being selfish now? Thatís why pre-nups are a good idea.

Trust and respect. Canít ask for either of them. From my experience, the people who pitch a fit about not being trusted are the very ones who donít deserve it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-28-2003, 02:09 PM
Scraper Scraper is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluesteel
Fine, then quantify those sacrifices and how much it helped the company to succeed from the point of the marriage. She deserves half of that increase. Not half of the entire value. Whoís being selfish now? Thatís why pre-nups are a good idea.

Trust and respect. Canít ask for either of them. From my experience, the people who pitch a fit about not being trusted are the very ones who donít deserve it.
At least we agree on something. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-28-2003, 02:26 PM
turfcare's Avatar
turfcare turfcare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Winchester, TN
Posts: 276
I also agree with Green Pastures. If I thought I needed a pre-nup, then I would not have gotten married.
__________________
Lawnscape
Professional Lawn Care
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-28-2003, 02:34 PM
drobson's Avatar
drobson drobson is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 237
I don't think there is anything wrong with a pre-nup as long as it spells out that anything earned during the marriage is part of the marriage. The real purpose of the pre-nup is to make sure that the other spouse is not entitled to something that was pre-existing before the marriage.

If it's a business, then it should be documented that the value of the business at the time of the marriage is the part that will remain with the original business owner if the marriage should fail, but what was built during the marriage should belong to both equally.

If you are talking about a posession that does not increase in value, then the entire posession should belong to the original owner.

Face it, a marriage involves people, and people change. So the possibility of a marriage failing is a reality. There is no reason why people should not be able to keep what they went into the marriage with, and the courts are to blame for needed things like a pre-nup to begin with. I for one would not expect to take half of my wifes grandmothers jewelry that she had since she was a kid just because we split up. That was hers before the marriage and should remain hers.
__________________
Dan Robson
Robson Industries
Woburn, Ma
www.RobsonIndustries.net
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:19 AM.

Page generated in 0.10342 seconds with 7 queries