Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-03-2003, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Member

REGULARS

My helper and I can knock out 15 to 20 a day. If your 2 guys are at a regular job more than 30 minutes(avg.) each, somethings wrong. Look into efficiency of unloading and loading mowers, proper mower size (bigger is better), and a walk behind for the back yard. My helper will edge and weedeat, I mow and blow. If the trimming is heavier, I will edge instead of him. Finish at the same time. 30 min tops for reg lawns...15 to 20 min is better...
LA LAWNS
Old 06-03-2003, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Re: THANX EVERYONE

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jmc Lawn care
[B]what im tryin 2 figure out is how much work 2 man crew should do in a week while doin the most lawn we can and making as much money as possible
thanx 4 feedback

What im gonna tell ya is that if ya don't know how much money ya need to make it don't give a damn how many ya cut. My goal is to cut one lawn a week for about $2777 per cut. We work about 36 weeks here so that would bring me around $100k. How much ya wanna make??? 40 stops @$30=$1200.... 30 stops @$40=1200 Makes sense right......makes sense only if it is the same amount of turf that you are cutting. We cut 35 accounts in 2 1/2 days.....approx 550,000 square feet of turf. I know because I have measured every lawn. We work in an area that has a 2 acre minimum lot size for every house.....exclusive. We average approx. 15k sq. ft. lawns. If we averaged 7.5k lawns we quickly jump to 70 accounts. Every lawn brings at least $37.50 per man hour and some up to $60 per man hour. Lots of people ask "How many lawns do you do??" My answer is 550,000sq. ft. of turf or approx. 13 acres of turf. Quantity vs.Quality....sorry to ramble..Good luck
Old 06-04-2003, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

When I had a partner, we averaged 20 a day, in about 7-8 hrs. Once we did 35 in 10 hours. Now that I am alone, I can do about 15 a day in 8-9 hours. The key is to keep them together, don't do a lot of driving, and don't take lawns that you can't handle. Fenced in back yards is my bane. I hate 'em.

Old 06-06-2003, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like alot of 1man residential mowers on this reply. We as a multi-person commercial & residential company figure 1acre is equal to 1hour. This includes unload/load/cut/trim & blow if needed. This is about the best advice for figuring how long & how much to charge. Hope this helps you 1 man operations out. L8R
Old 06-07-2003, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Katwalk has it right. I could do 100 20 sqft. lawns a day for 5 bucks and mean nothing or have 1 $555 dollar lawn and be ahead.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The problem with that philosophy is, that one large lawn quits, you are out a whole lot of money at once. I'd rather do many lawns for less, therefore lessening the financial impact if one or two of them quit. And you can always replace the smaller lawns easier than the larger or commercial lawns in the middle of a season.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm just saying that the number of lawns you do a day doesn't mean anything. Its more the value of lawns you do or the sq ft of lawns a day subtracting drive time.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't know where to begin to figure out the square footage of lawns I do. I know that my average customer is $20 a pop. If I do 15 a day, that's $300. If I do 5 lawns a day at $60, that's $300, too. But if 2 of those $60 lawns quit, it'll hurt a lot more than 2 $20 lawns, and I can replace the $20 lawns quicker, too. I'd rather not stick all my eggs in one basket, but spread them around. That's why I stick to smaller accounts, and don't bid on lawns that are bigger than I can handle.

Not to mention I get frustrated with the bigger lawns, and more can happen with a larger lawn to set you back, timewise. Smaller yards means quicker cuts. And if you group your lawns together in neighborhoods, and try to stick to those neighborhoods to gain new customers, you can reduce your drivetime and you become known in those neighborhoods as well.

But that's how I work, and it works well for me.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Make it happen

Mtdmaster, You say "I wouldn't know where to begin to figure out square footage of lawns I do." Honestly, or are you messing with us??? Well, just to help, square footage if length times width. Why would two of those $60 lawns quit?? For us the only reason I can think is if someone is moving or loses their job. If you have a bunch of $20 lawns you need to maintain them at a superior level then the other $20 guy and get them to $25 and $30 accounts. {Quote} Not to mention, I get frustrated with the bigger lawns and more can happen with a larger lawn to set you back, timewise. Like what??? The mower can die on smaller lawns too. The line trimmer can run out of string anywhere. Gas stations are just as far away. Again, we work in an exclusive area where lot sizes are larger, therefore we must maintain larger properties. I would still recommend trying to raise the price on the customers you have. $300 a day for an owner/operator really is not that great. You deserve more.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I know how to calculate area. What I meant is, I don't pay attention to that stuff. I don't need to. I base my rates on much more than simple square footage, and after years in my business, I can produce an estimate without measuring the size of people's lots.

Most of my lawns are city size lots, and I don't go out to the bigger areas. My business and my equipment is geared toward smaller lawns, which I prefer. I don't like doing bigger lawns. If I need to do a second cut, or blow excessive clippings, whatever, with a bigger lawn it takes longer. I like to get in, get out. I like to feel that I am moving through my route, like I'm getting something done, or else I get frustrated. That's me, that's what I prefer.

Why do people quit? There are lots of reasons. People move, decide to do their own, get their kid to do it, turn into pita customers, fail to pay their bills, whateva. Happens all the time. Usually customers come and go through the season, just the nature of the business. If I have 5 larger lawns, and some of those quit, it is harder in my area to find replacements for those. But I have a list of names of people that want me to mow their lawns if spaces open up, of the smaller variety. It's easier to replace the smaller lawns in my area, in a city filled with lawns and people wanting someone to mow.

And who says I don't maintain them at superior levels at $20? Did you ever stop to think that perhaps that is the price that my market bears? You can't get $30 for a lawn that takes 20 minutes around here. I do a damned fine job, and retain 99% of my customers each year, with a very high satisfaction rate. I also have plenty of extra services and secondary work that I sell, along with a package program and a season prepay program that makes me plenty of money.

I don't do huge lawns. I do small residentials that I can crank out 15 a day by myself. It works well for me, I have a demand greater than I can supply, and have been in business for 7 years. I'd rather stick to many smaller lawns which will impact me less if I lose a few as the season progresses than fewer larger lawns that will hurt me if a few drop. Seems like simple math to me.

You do larger lawns and make money at it, great. Not everyone works in the same conditions throughout the country, and many of us operate vastly different companies. It is interesting to me to see how other companies operate compared to mine. My only point was having your income spread out over many accounts allows you to deflect the affects of losing clients throughout the season. If you don't agree, that's your prerogative. I certainly won't lose any sleep over it.

And please don't tell me how poorly I am doing. I am doing just fine, thank you.