Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2003, 05:17 AM
LawnSite Member

thats good info

thanx
Old 06-11-2003, 05:52 AM
LawnSite Member

i need help on making my business grow

what are sum fast andásy ways ppl get clients besides signs and fliers?
i know theres gota be more...

thanx 4 any help
Old 06-11-2003, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

How much money can each 2 man crew generate for a year. I want to become a big landscaping/mowing company one day and i am just wondering how many crews i will need to bring in the $$ i want.

matt
Old 06-11-2003, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

REsponse to mtdmaster on reply to how many yards can a 2 man crew do

Way to Go!!! I love your outlook my husband has been doing this by himself for 9 years, due to the increase in accounts and physical wear & tear we started hiring last year. There is another story competent help, but we have a few larger accounts, a couple of commercial and the rest a residential lawns. We have done pretty well at that and would be happy continuing but he wants to retire can't do that grossing only 40K a year.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Member

How long is your work day?
Old 06-11-2003, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Re: REsponse to mtdmaster on reply to how many yards can a 2 man crew do

Quote:
Originally posted by reneekrause
Way to Go!!! I love your outlook my husband has been doing this by himself for 9 years, due to the increase in accounts and physical wear & tear we started hiring last year. There is another story competent help, but we have a few larger accounts, a couple of commercial and the rest a residential lawns. We have done pretty well at that and would be happy continuing but he wants to retire can't do that grossing only 40K a year.
Thanks! I think the key to being successful and staying in business for a while is learning your niche, understanding what you want to do and can do, and sticking to it. Mine is residential lawns, and I'm happy doing them and making money at it as well. I have a few larger lawns, a few smaller lawns, but mostly I stick to the residentials that I can do in 30-45 minutes. The larger lawns go for more than $20, but I don't have more than 4 or 5 that take me an hour to do. I'd like to work my average price up, which I've been doing over the years, and any new estimates I give are at least $25 now. Honestly, most of my customers just want me to cut their lawn so they don't have to worry about it, and are pretty low key. I like it.

I think that if this site teaches us anything, it's that there are MANY MANY different types of lawn care organizations around the country, and many many ways to do business. That's why I come here, to hear about the ways other guys do the job. It's interesting for me to hear about how the guys do big lawns and large commercial stuff, how people run crews and make it work. If someone doesn't do things my way, but can make a profit, great. But I'm not afraid to talk about my way, either.

Other lawn care companies around here in my town tend to get really competitive and aren't very friendly towards other companies. I don't get that. There is plenty of work to go around my area, and no matter how hard someone tried they couldn't mow every lawn in the county. I'm all about being open and friendly and sharing info. If it helps someone else to make a buck, that's great. I've got mine, and I'm not afraid of other companies taking my business. I've got a good rep, lots of demand, and making money. Why be a dick to others? Making friends in the business and networking can only help you in the long run.

As far as retiring goes, I sock as much away as I can every year. I don't plan to do this forever, but I know getting old costs $$.

I work about 9 to 10 hours a day, when it's not raining.

Old 06-12-2003, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

reply to mtdmaster & green goblin

I hear you, when we first started this business it was literally by the seat of our pants but my husband was in custom cabintry and the market was non existant we always loved being outside and gardening and living in Tampa/St. Pete area of Florida gives up enough work to keep over 9000 companies in the Bay Area in business.

We used to put in 12 hr days to start, but my husband is really organized and has over the years implemented systems so it can almost be done blind folded. We used to try and "network" to get some advice, but it was like you were asking for their credit card, wallet or something,

We try to help out anyone who asks for advice. If the people involved in the Green industry would come together like in so many other businesses you could actually standardize the whole when it comes to pricing, etc.

You have some people who are tight wads and others who will pay the price to have it done right! We charge 25-40 per cut sometimes less if it is just a front yard. Trying now to up the "bar." We will increase our customers everyother year $5-10 dollars per monthly service amount.

My husband now puts in approx 6-7 hrs per day servicing accounts, but he will also put in on the average 3 hrs shop time every day. He has a maintenace program that is 100% more than what is recommended thus affording our equipment a longer life span.

Like I said previously we waited to hire help and should have done so sooner. We have learned valuable lessons when it comes to hiring people. We haven't been able to find anyone so far who is as dedicated as he is though. Which brings up a new thought but totally off the subject actually.

I like reading about how people handle their business and it is comforting in a way to know that without any help from experts or paying hi fees for seminars we have done pretty well for ourselves. As I said my husband wants out of the mowing end and get into the managing end but payroll is costly!!

Would love to hear from people who have employees and how they take care of them, if they have manuals for like safety, How to...

It would also be nice to see my husband home in front of the TV or getting ready to go fishing, etc than to see him on equipment or under it. He has worked really hard for the past 10 years we have just entered our 11th year.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

this is my second year in business. have about 30 accts 1/2 of them are a acre or more... if i'm out working by myself in a day i bring in somewhere around $400... If someone is helping me it's more around $600. a day for me is 10 hrs.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

When I run a two man crew, I gross about $580 to $630 in 10 to 11 hours. I know, I know. I'm not charging enough.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper
Old 10-10-2003, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

there are too many factors to consider...like edging, bagging, landscaping beds, trees, etc.