Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2003, 03:14 AM
LawnSite Member

too many deciding factors, size of yard, travel time, equipment, etc.... For our 2 man crew, anywhere from 17-31 per day in 8 hr. day. 31 is all in one subdivison, 17 is spread out and larger lawns.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The number of accounts serviced is really not important. The amount of revenue produced per hour that will make or break the business. JMO.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

If I cut two and get thee hundered each and then lose one I still equal your three hundred. Allso how long could two take. And i would use very little gasoline.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Wow, what an old thread.

I still think I would rather have many smaller lawns than a few larger ones. Every year people come and go, and I usually end up with less at the end of the year than when I start. Either by my choice or theirs. If I lose a couple, it doesn't affect me as much at lower price/account as it does if the price/account is larger. That lower ratio isn't something I come by by charging too little, it's because the lawns are smaller.

Trumping all that though is the theory I have been trying to implement to work smarter not harder. Higher rates, smarter billing, targeting services for slower parts of the year so I make more $$ more evenly throughout the year. I get tired of jamming a high volume of lawns all year to be burned out at the end. I'd rather have a nice, manageable work load during the season and find a way to garner more work during the spring and fall when I have been traditionally slower.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gramps
If I cut two and get thee hundered each and then lose one I still equal your three hundred. Allso how long could two take. And i would use very little gasoline.
Yeah, but you're still out $300. If I loose one at $25-$30, I'm out 10% of what you lost. Or 1 out of 15 lawns I can do in a day, which comes to 7% of my daily income. You are out 50% of your daily income. If I do 15 a day 5 days a week, and I lose 1 customer, I lose 1.3% of my workload. If you do 2 a day 5 days a week, you are out 10% of your workload. Big difference.

And if my schedule is compact and divided by neighborhoods, I have very little driving to do between accounts.

Old 10-14-2003, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

That's all true. But I'm out spraying weeds 0r mabey just buying some Gasoline. Or just maybe I'm putting some bondo on my rusty truck. And i still made three hundred bucks.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Member

i JUST GOT A CALL i LOST BOTH TODAY. nOW i HAVE A DAY OFF.