Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-16-2003, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Researching in Indiana

Okay, here's my tentative plan. Research and prepare like a madman before Spring '04. I'm keeping my day job, and hiring my son full time for next season. He will be doing the bulk of the yard-work, while I keep the books, help on weekends, maintain the equipment, sell to new and keep existing customers happy. I have some interesting marketing strategies, limited capitol sources (but doable), a generous list of do's and don'ts, thanks too many of you. I'll be needing to buy a decent used truck and trailer and a new mower, trimmers, edger and blower. All will be commercial quality and the mower will be a good walk behind. My only expectations this season will be to grow my customer base, pay all my bills, learn the business in all aspects and have enough left over to buy better (or more) equipment for the following year. No plans to leave my job, until my business has grown to the point where it can afford me. I want to educate myself to be able to offer full lawn care and even landscaping maybe. My son is fully on board, with the knowledge that he will eventually will be groomed into being able to run and own this company in the future. (my wife threatens divorce if I don't eventually get her back to Virginia in the next 5-10 years. What do you all think?
Old 10-16-2003, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

sounds like a great idea. Iwill be doing the same just 45 minutes north of you. good luck.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I get my wife back to virgina