Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-01-2003, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Front Page Help Please

Looking for someone who uses/has Microsoft Front Page. Please reply or pm me. This subject deals with the navigation.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

How can I help you?

I design webpages, so if you have a question ask away...please post the url of the site as well.

Matt
Old 06-02-2003, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I too know a thing or two about webpage design. Ask away and I'll also try to contribute some advice.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just got Front Page with my new computer. Have a lot of knowledge about computers programs etc but am having some problems with the Front Page Navigations. I go to insert Navigation then i click bar based on navigation structure. I go through a few more steps and have to choose a few things but at the end i never have any navigation buttons? Can you guys help me with that.

Oh an one more thing, is there anyway to divide the page up into like columns?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2003, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Member

You divide the page into columns using a table, create a table with 2 rows and 2 columns...then you can merge cells if you wish to create the look that you are looking for.

Frontpage is a web designers nightmare, as is most microsoft products. It was built with functions that aren't used in other programs, eg. WebBots.

As for the button itself....
Try
Insert | Component | Hover Button
Old 06-03-2003, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with CentralMassWeb. I used to use FrontPage when I first started working with webpages but I now I find myself just typing in the html code. It may take a little longer at first but it gives you a lot better understanding of how webpages actually work. I too recommend learning as much as you can about tables. They are an important part of web design and are a part of nearly every webpage that you'll ever visit. They are used to control the layout of the page. Often times they are there but are not even visible to the site's visitor because they have a property called "border" that can be set to 0 to keep the table outline from being displayed. To get a better understanding of tables insert a table into a web document while using FrontPage and manipulate the table's properties and then see how each change affects the source code.

Some more advice would be to look at the source code of already existing webpages and try to follow what each part of the code is doing. Only look at pages with simple layouts at first. Ones that have a few links, and a few pics and are not too complicated.

That being said it's sort of hard to lend any other type of advice here as I'm not totally sure what it is you are trying to accomplish. If there is more specific info that you could share regarding the task at hand it would help.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys for the Help...Really appreciate it. Yes i know some HTML and am still learning, i will be learning Java Script next year in school. Again thank you for all the help, it was very helpful!
Old 06-14-2003, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

FrontRage

My Suggestion is to delete front page from your machine. I suggest learning Dreamweaver MX or Golive if you want to learn and use a proffessional page editor. If you want the easiest and most user friendly one that may actually think for you...I love this one. 40tude. Here it is: http://www.40tude.com/html/

download the free trial and you will see what I mean. I sometimes use it to get a job done quick then put the code it generates into my Dreamweaver just to get started

If you want the best online bulder on the market....go to Homestead.com

I started with Frontpage and I will tell you all the way to the current edition....it is a nightmare. I can look at a page on the internet now and without viewing the source code tell you it's FrontRage! The exact positioning feature will never work right and centering is a big problem.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Some Sources for Code

www.webmonkey.com and www.webdeveloper.com
Old 06-17-2003, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

FrontPage Navigation

More websites are done with FrontPage than any other program by far so don't give up on it yet. Dreamweaver does write cleaner code than FrontPage but that is no big deal and Frontpage is a lot easer to use than Dreamweaver or Go live. Most pros use all the programs depending on what they are doing.

Let me talk about the tables first. Central Mass is right on with his advice. Think of it this way. You make a table the size of your page, then you "nest" other tables inside that one to get your layout. In other words if you have a full sized table and you want buttons on the left 1/4 of the page you set two tables inside the bigger one. One to the left set for 25% of page width and the other to the right set at 75% You can further break that down if you want and you can assign backgrounds to the tables or the whole page.

Now as far as the navigation, to be honest I am not following exactly what you are saying. To learn the program why don't you start with one of FrontPage themes. They have the buttons already in. Ok now to get them to work go to the navigation view. On the left you will see a list of all your files. On the right will be boxes, perhaps just one that will say home page or index html. To add a page to the navigation structure just hold your curser over the file name on the left. Hold that left button down, don't let up and drag it over into the other panel just below the home page button. You will see an elastic band go up to the home page button. Once it does that, let go and that page will be in your navigation view. After that you can change your navigation just by moving those boxes in the navigation view.

Another easy way to start is to go somewhere where they sell templates that are really neat and not that expensive. My suggestion is www.pixelmill.net. You can have a really sharp site in a few hours.