Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-27-2000, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

after I got started in the buisness I started taking care of the lawn on a friends farm. lots of grass right along side the barbed wire fence. using a commercial walkbehind, I had to be real careful when the handles were close to the fence.<p>one day my friend called me out to the farm to show mw his new john deere walkbehind. he asked for my advice on what he needed to know before he got started cutting his own grass.<p>the first thing I told hm was to watch those turns when the handle was passing a tree, fence post, whatever. I told him to simply turn loose of the handle, ALWAYS, when passing something. after we visited a while I left and he went to work.<p>I got a call from him a couple weeks later, needed me to cut the grass at the farm.<p>before I finished, he showed up. the bandages were almost up to his elbow.<p>right you are! first thing he did was turn the machine next to the barbed wire and keep hold of the handle. I mowed several times for him after that.<p>GEO
Old 06-27-2000, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ouch,<br>Man would that hurt, I hope he learned a lesson.<p>Experience is name we give our previous mistakes.
Old 06-27-2000, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I too have smashed and scaped my hands but nothing I could not shake off in about 30sec.That must have killed!!!!!!!!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 06-27-2000, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

about 6 years ago when i first got my 36inch gravely walkbehind and i wasnt use to it i was mowing a lawn and when i went to make a left turn the right handle of the mower wipped against the bottom corner of a vinal siding strip (with my hand on the handle). it sliced my entire hand open.... i went back to the truck , and grabbed a paper towl and rapped it around my hand.... i was determined to finish this lawn. when i was done i went and got stitches!
Old 06-28-2000, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Evan i hoped you wiped the blood off the siding!! Also be careful when adding a velke to your mower. Kevin
Old 06-28-2000, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Kevin, That velke i bought from you is working great. Got use to it in about 5 minutes. I no longer hate using my walkbehind... I do wish that belt driven mowers were faster now that i have a velke! Just thought id let you no how things were going!