Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-03-2003, 12:26 PM

2nd Free Give Away

I am pleased to announce our second free give away at LawnSite.com.

This give away will include the following:

1. Benefits Program Membership ($60.00 value)
2. A LawnSite.com High Quality T-Shirt ($25.00 value)
3. A LawnSite.com Mouse Pad ($12.00 value)
4. A LawnSite.com Coffee Mug($14.00 value)

As with the last give away, in order to be elligible, you will need to respond to the question below. Please remember, you can only post once and you cannot comment on what others post.

The Give Away question is....

If you had the chance to run LawnSite.com for one week, what changes would you make? What would you improve? What would you add to the site?

Thanks in advance to everyone who replies!
Old 06-04-2003, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

make it more colorfull by adding clip art plants at the top of the pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Full time college student> Landscape Design and Construction @ Kent State Salem

Help save planet Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!
Old 06-06-2003, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Great as is.

I like it as is. Adding graphics will slow it down for us dial-up users. Adding more specific forums is counter productive to me, I only have a limited amount of time to visit the site and I can't visit most of the forums as is.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ha Ha HA, I use Road Runner.

What about music or something saying: Welcome to Lawnsite.com?

Quote:

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 06-08-2003, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Changes???

I like it the way it is. Maybe add a feature product or idea each week, with pictures and info.
Bluemoon
Old 06-08-2003, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Add lawnsite professional. No pay, yet restricted site. Require some intermediate questions about finanacial aspects of a business, employee concerns, minimum 5 years in business, knowledge of the lawn and landscape industry a plus but not required. Quite honestly this site has too many people that complain and whine over trivial issues such as Mrs. Smith calling at 9:30, how to sharpen blades, what is fertilizer, what's the best mower, striping grass etc.... A number of people have grown their business beyond this point and I can't be the only one bored with the what seem to me now as trivial issues recurring over and over and over again. I am not in this to mow grass for 20+ years, push a spreader for 20+ years, etc... Rather I began with the goal of growing a business and making a decent profit off this venture. A lot here seem to have a different vision of where they want to go. I am at a point where I do not do the labor anymore and as such the issues that are a result of my business's growth seem to have an entirely different theme than 85% of the users here gravitate towards.
Old 06-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Banned

I don't think I'd change anything. Pretty happy with the way it is.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do have to agree with Nebraska.
too many people with LITTLE Experience.
Too many newbies asking us how to do things.(I've been guilty of that)
Too many lowballers picking up Ideas from us and screwing up their so-called customer's lawns.

May the Owner of Lwansite.com add Lawnsite Proffessional?

Quote:

-- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 06-10-2003, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Give Away

If I were running lawnsite, I would not change much, but I would make a few small changes.

First I would make a spot under the thread originatorís name, for the original posting date. I feel that if this was done, I would not have to remember if i have looked at this one already, all I would have to do is look at the date and see if the posting date was today. It would be similar to the posting date, but this one would never change.

Also, I know that many people have different ideas on how to run a company, but I would try to make a thread specifically for new people who start, so they would have something like a manual (lawncaresuccess has something like this). This would be an on line collaboration of ideas that could be voted on, and changed into the manual.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I am a newbie to the site, and to the biz.

I have been using the site a reference tool for developing my business. Although I have always wanted to know how to stripe grass, that is not my main concern at this time.

I would like to see real data pulled from the members that can be used as a guide, and I stress guide.

Such as: What is the going price of residentials/commercials by state, or county, or city. what ever is the most relevant. Just from reading this site I have seen that CT does a lot of $15 cuts, but their lot sizes are different than most. Since I am in Tx, what is the going rate in San antonio, houston, D/FW, etc. It gives a new guy an idea of where to start. yes, it could be used by scrubs to lowball, but It sure beats the honest Joe lowballing because they didn't know better. it would also give you sales materials to justify cost or cost increases. It would also provide you with a means to develop job costing and real business planning for the serious newcomer.

Also, a mentor program. There are a lot of old pro's here that can pass on specific information to the new guys. This could be a pay program, or volunteer. What ever is going to motivate the Mentor to put out the time. this keeps the Old pro's secrets safe, and not out there for all to see. For example pair a guy in Houston with a guy in Dallas. Similar climates, but seperate territories.

Also, a professional resource program. CPA's, Attorney's, etc. to assist all of us in making sure that we are doing what we should legaly, or how to handle a non-payment customer, etc, Since time is money to us, If we could reduce the amount of research time, or have one specific place to go to get at least a preliminary answer, that would save me time and allow me to focus on those things that make me money. Again it could be a pay feature, or a sponsorship feature.

Just some thoughts. Overall, Its a great site already!

*May your shoes and wallet always be green!*