Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Teenagers in the business...

I am 17 and my brother is 15 and we own a small business as you all know. We mow 15 regular clients with several odds and ends jobs every week. How many others out there are just teenagers mowing after school and on Saturdays? What equipment do you run? We just made a fine business investment in our 36" Exmark. Any teenagers out there with a larger business? If so, how the heck do you manage?
Old 06-05-2003, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

All I can say is this. If you are 17, and your brother is 15, and you have a 36" Exmark wb, then you are MILES ahead of many others. This mower will carry you though for a LONG time. Will you grow? Oh, probably. Will you want, need, and get a bigger mower? Probably so. However, the mower you have is one that you will be able to keep and get use out of with no matter WHAT you end up with. This is just a great unit to have, for several uses. Period. I often wish I had one for certain applications, as well. When I started (later than you), I broke off from working with a large landscape co. and I started out with a pushmower and an old beat up van. I wish you could see what I look like now. I saved, and bought a small tractor, then gutted an old pop-up camper for a trailer. From there, I bought my first real truck (just happened to be a 1 ton because I got a good deal on it), and shortly after, I purchased my first commercial mower. A 52" John Deere wb with the sit down sulky and bagger unit. (a steel box that weighed about 20 lbs. empty). I still have that mower 20 years later, even though it never used. (If I had a 36, perhaps I'd be using it for gated areas). Anyway, from there, I purchased a trailer (18' tandem) and then purchased another identical wb. Some years later, came the Gravely 300 Promaster rider, and then the Lazer. So, rather than having some stuff that you will be wearing out, YOU have purchased a machine that is BUILT to run all day - everyday. Wise choice, and you are blessed for having been able to do so. Most people aren't that lucky. Good luck with it, and take your blessing and GO with it.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm 17 and i mow between 12-15 homes a week. Its tough mowing during school but its good money so i deal with it.

I use a 21"YardGuy Mower.... Which is broken by the way

i'm currently looking to buy a used commercial mower.... Looking to spend under 2000. Can it be done?

Mitch
Old 06-05-2003, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think so

mrbenfer i think it can be done.

how big of a deck do you want?

if you are looking for a 36" then it can definitely be done. We bought our Exmark metro 36" brand new for about $2500. it's hard to come by good used commercial equipment because most people don't want to sell them because they still run fine after a lot of use.
look on ebay and any used mower places around your area. trust me, it'll be worth it if you do spend a little over your budget. once you use commercial equipment, you'll never go back to little 21"ers. it's awesome.

good luck
Old 06-05-2003, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do 48 lawns a week (close to half every other though) and one of these being our church-commercial. I am homeschooled, so I have a LOT more time to deal with biz. As part of school, how I run and manage my small business gets graded-Part of learning how life in the REAL world will be so it works out pretty well for me. As for equipment, I run:

-Encore Pro Line 52" 20HP Liquid Cooled, OHV Kawasaki
-5HP B&S Trac Vac (For Encore)
-Honda 21" 4HP OHV, 2 Speed, Eletc. Start, Twin Blade, Bagger
-MTD 5HP Walkbehind Edger
-MTD 18.5 HP B&S 46" Garden Tractor
-4x5 Utility Trailer (for MTD Tractor-haul multch,etc. around on properties)
-Mclutch 18" String trimmer (strait shaft)
-Homelite 18: Gas Hedge Trimmer
-Homelite 60cc 208 MPH Backpack Blower
-Toro Recycler 21" 6HP 1 speed bagger
-8HP Troy Bilt Tiller
-Homelite 21" Twin Blade Mulcher/Side Discharge
-3HP 9800 GPH 2" Trash Pump (For Watergarden/Pond Cleanouts)
-5HP John Deere Rear engine rider (not really for biz, just have it)

-10x6 Single Axle open Landscape Trailer
-87' Dodge Dakota V6 w/44,000 Miles
Old 06-05-2003, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i am nineteen just started this year i was able to use my dads 5x12 and shtil trimmer and i took my own money and bought a new GRAVELY 36" (2 hrs), a cheap yard machines trim mower and a echo blower i mostly picked up my first customers from friends and family which is about 7 but i plan to have at least 15 by the end of the summer i use my explorer to haul my stuff around and it looks alittle dumb but everyones got to start somewhere right now i am in a community college and i have thought about making this a career:blob3:
Redmax EB-7001
6x12 trailer
Echo PB 200 Handheld Blower
7hp Toro Snow Commander
5hp Briggs pump
Tanaka 26" Hedge trimmers
Kee Bed Edger
Honda Tiller
Old 06-05-2003, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Im only fifteen and have a sucessful buisness with a few commercial accounts that keep me afloat. i have 2 nice mowers and neice equipment and i cant even drive i have to have my dad drive me to the commercial companys
01' eXmark lazer Z hp
03'Simplicity Conquest
Lawn Boy and Stihl trimmers
Old 06-05-2003, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh ya, I forgot-My ditch/steep hill mower is a:

-Toro Flymo 20" Hover mower (Floats on grass with no wheels)
Old 06-05-2003, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

i am 14 and have 10 clients

i have a
commerical honda 21in 5hp
kawasaki string trimmer commercial
crapy homelite b/p blower
generac pressure washer 5hp honda
Old 06-05-2003, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I'm 17 and i mow between 12-15 homes a week. Its tough mowing during school but its good money so i deal with it.
Could get a new Lesco belt drive for around your budget.
Closed Thread