Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm nineteen and at OSU majoring in landscape horticulture. I started mowing in 1995 and has expanded greatly with landscaping. I have an older brother who has been working full-time while I am at school and a younger brother in high school who works when he has time. We mow 15 lawns and are very involved with landscaping. Right now, I have enough landscaping business that the three of us are booked for the next 2 months solid. Normally, we are having someone work with us everyday.

As for managing everything, it's very tough. I am home weekend from friday to sunday night making sure jobs are getting done correctly and contacting customers. It's rough sometimes with not having much of a social life at school, but i guess that is what fall and winter quarter are for...

As for equipment:
17 hp 52" Toro walk-behind
12.5 hp 32" Toro walk-behind
21" push mower

STIHL
FS 85 Weedeater
(2) Backpack blowers
(2) Chainsaws
Gas Hedge Trimmer

Rototiller, snowblower and the list goes on and on....

'93 GMC Sierra (4x4)

Love your job and never work another day in your life.

I wish my grass was emo, that way it would cut itself...
Old 06-05-2003, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am 17 and am going to start mowing next year. I got to save up the money to buy the exmark 52in wb. I work at a trailer shop so i will get a trailer for the cost of the steel.

For you that are under 18 and you a legit business with insurance and everything? Can i have a real business with everything in my name before i am 18? I turn 18 may12 which is already a month into the mowing season. So i may start mowing with out insurance and a real business name for a month then get legit on my 18th bday. I just don't want the business in my dads name, and it seems like it would be a hassle to switch everything over to my name once i turn 18.

matt
Old 06-05-2003, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 19 (until theend of the week). I cut 75 res and 2 commericial weekly with

Toro 21" comm
Lawn boy 21" comm
toro 17 hp 44" Z-master
Sthil br 420
shindawa T-270
88 F-250 4X4
6.5x12 landscaping trailer

and one employee takes 3 days.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have to know. So, - you are telling us that you are cutting 25 places a day, PLUS your 2 commercial accounts in the same days. I must tell you, I've been in this business a long time - (longer than you've been around), and I have NEVER seen THIS be able to be done. I wish you'd fill me in on your secret, because this may change the whole dynamics of physical science for me and make me a very rich man. Please do tell...................

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:22 PM
Banned

Runner, so long as his lawns aren't huge, 25 lawns a day is fiesable for 2 guys. My good friend has a record of somewhere close to 40 lawns in a day with a 4 man crew. Another guy I know, his best for 1 day is something like 23 lawns in a day with him and 1 other guy. Some of those were good size lawns.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do about 15 with a few light other jobs a week. I just dont have a social life anymore, but I'm kind of happy about that. For me to manage my little buisness I just set my priorities to what I think is more important.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Member

im 14 and im only doing a couple yards in my old neighborhood with a 21" craftsman. I also use a craftsman trimmer and blower. I am looking to upgrade to a 36" scag and to upgrade my blower and trimmer to echo. by the way, my mom takes me to my lawns.

Ricky
Old 06-06-2003, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

8 lawns

Plus 2-3 on/off

I also do odd jobs on occasion.

I have a 48" hydro W/B and 2-21"ers with other varois equip.

Btw: The 48 NEVER gets used because ALL yards are gated and the BIGGEST is 2500k sf
Old 06-06-2003, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I am fixin to be twenty in a month. I have 11 commercial and somewhere around 30 res. accounts. I have been at this since the 7th grade. Up until this year I have done it by myself but I hired a helper this summer. I work him 5 days a week and we still do not get caught up. I have learned that you are not really ever caught up, always something.

Anyway, going to school full time, like 2 semesters being done with a degree in landscape man. so i can become liscensed. Already doing landscaping, hard to make time for that right now though. Maybe one day a week if i am lucky with the weather.
No major social life growing up eather. I am blessed with a wonderful girlfriend who understands why i do not come home till 9:00 or later every night.

As for equipment:
'03 JD 737 54in.
'95 JD 178 38in.
2 stihl fs85's
stihl b/p blower
stihl edger
16' open trailer
'97 F150 (This is the next upgrade, hopefully this winter)
Old 06-06-2003, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats. I wish there were more young folks like you with a work ethic.
Closed Thread