Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 09:50 PM
Suspended

I forgot to mention that i have 2 million in liability on my stuff.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Your $2 million is probably equal to my $1 million policy after the exchange rate right?
Old 06-13-2003, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/observe...ba/6060409.htm
Old 06-13-2003, 09:56 AM
Suspended

BHB its 1.4 million with the exchange rate now
Old 06-13-2003, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Reading some of the posts, I came up with some thoughts....

1. I'm still waiting to hear how student mowers handle customers when they go back to school. Around here I'm mowing March-Dec, summer break only lasts 3 months.

2. I mowed grass when I was in high school. Including the occasional "independent" job for someone who needed a lawn mowed. But mostly it was for my Dad's business from time to time. But I was no expert and didn't pass myself off as one. I learned by working for a guy who did it part time and observing his mistakes and gaining practical expertise about mowing that helped me jump in w/o looking like a total no-nothing.

What occurs to me is how few people seem willing to put in at least a few months even of working for someone else and learning the ropes before setting up a lawncare biz and running out to get customers. Yes, it's not brain surgery. But it sure isn't easy enough to be able to hop onto a lawn with a commercial mower and do a great job consistently if you've never done it before. Looking back, I see I was still doing some things "wrong" even after a couple of years. Are too many people not "learning the ropes" before going out on their own? The idea of serving an apprenticeship in a trade seems to be diminishing in all fields in recent years.

I think that if someone thinks "it's easy, anyone can do it" about mowing lawns, they're likely not doing it well or efficiently. Yes, any clown can push a 21" homeowner mower around, or ride in circles on a lawn tractor, but I think you'd need a few weeks/months of practice to do it right consistently. Obviously, from the comments we all hear from new customers, it isn't that easy, or they WOULD be doing it right and we wouldn't be hired to replace the last guy who messed it up.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I try not to get to many accounts to handle during school. But I am in college and have a lot more time than the guys in high school. I just put off all the other jobs until summer. Only one more year of that.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Green Idaho, I am on my local FD. I'm 16 and have about 12 Lawn Service accounts and I do landscape, mulching, shrub trimming etc. Sense I'm 16 I can't do much. I respond to fires and help out as much as i can. I have turnout gear and all. I usually run lines and get equipment out.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I am 18 now but 2 years ago when I was 16 I had bought my first Walker mower it was the Model C with a 42" GHS deck. I did about 25 to 30 accounts a week. Last year when I was 17 I traded in the Model C for a Model T with the 26 hp EFI and a 48" GHS deck and a 54" discharge deck. Last year also in September right after i had turned 18 I bought out another company and now I run 2 Walkers the 26 hp EFI and a 20 hp both have a 48" GHS deck and a 54" discharge deck. Now I also do about 60 to 65 weekly accounts and have an employee.

I also do about 28 lawn application account that I do 4 times per year.

I think that it is great your getting a start early.
Pyrotechnician -
If you see me running try to keep up
Old 06-13-2003, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am 17 and my brother and I run a lawn biz. He is 15. We just took delivery of our new 2003 f350 supercab xlt 6.0psd. For equipment we have a 36 toro, 2 21 commercial 2cycle toros, a honda commercial push, a john deere 21, lesco spreader, solo backpack, 2 stihl 420's, a kawaski 26l trimmer, an echo 2601pas with trimmer edger and hedge trimmer, a stihl hs45 trimmer, a bluebird aerator, a bluebird dethatcher, a 46" jrco, a billygoat 10hsp wheeled blower, a 6.5-12' trailer and numerous handtools.
During the winter we run 2 2stroke 21 blowers, 3 two stroke toros, a commercial ariens 13-32, an ariens 8-24 and a sears 10-30. We currently handle about 25 residential customers a week. We have been working for 3yrs and hope to add new mowers and a plow soon.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NNJLandman
Green Idaho, I am on my local FD. I'm 16 and have about 12 Lawn Service accounts and I do landscape, mulching, shrub trimming etc. Sense I'm 16 I can't do much. I respond to fires and help out as much as i can. I have turnout gear and all. I usually run lines and get equipment out.
You DA MAN!!!!! Go get em!
Closed Thread