Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dlandscaping
I am 17 and my brother and I run a lawn biz. He is 15. We just took delivery of our new 2003 f350 supercab xlt 6.0psd.
Now THAT is funny. "We" ?? It would appear you have forgotten to mention the third wheel in your operation.....
Old 06-15-2003, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We=he and I or the business being referred as a third wheel
its my truck
whats ur rig look like?
Old 06-16-2003, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm a lawn cutting fireman! was with local fd. for 3 yrs then went to big city.(more $$) but the ties to the small town sore helped my biz start out fast.. 25 accounts 2nd month in operation. and no i'm not a teenager .
20' landscape trailer - 6.5x12 landscape trailer
5x10 utility trailer
3- 60" lazers, 1- 72" lazer 1- 36" W/B
15 shindaiwa handhelds, 3 echo saws
36" stihl chainsaw
2 fs100rx's, 2 br600 magnum FS94R, KM90
'92 long 2360/6'king kutter w/7.5x18 trailer

lawn sprinklers save your grass, fire sprinklers save your -----
Old 06-16-2003, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brucec32
[B]Reading some of the posts, I came up with some thoughts....

1. I'm still waiting to hear how student mowers handle customers when they go back to school. Around here I'm mowing March-Dec, summer break only lasts 3 months.

2. I mowed grass when I was in high school. Including the occasional "independent" job for someone who needed a lawn mowed. But mostly it was for my Dad's business from time to time. But I was no expert and didn't pass myself off as one. I learned by working for a guy who did it part time and observing his mistakes and gaining practical expertise about mowing that helped me jump in w/o looking like a total no-nothing.QUOTE]

1 I was homeschooling so I did school nights weekends lunch breaks and so on.

2 Do you know how hard it is for a 15 16 17 year old to get a job for a mowing company can be done but with my driving record it was impossible. I tried I applied at nearly every large company in town and no interviews they all want perfect driving records and 18 years old. So I started on my own(Just on a larger scale I always had a few) and learned everything the hard way and boy did I learn

Look at me now I am one of the larger company's in town and almost making more money then my old man at age 18
Old 06-23-2003, 04:25 AM
LawnSite Member

hey i just stumbled acrost this thread looking for what younger kids are doing (being one myself). this is pretty cool to learn all this stuff about mowers and everything

For me though, I am currently 14 3/4. I have been mowing lawns ever since a long time ago when my dad taught me how to do it since he moved out because he was an alcoholic so i had to do the yard work around the house (I was about 7,8,9 then, i really can't remember exactly when) I was always doing my own yard and a neighbors just down the street and that was it. But we recently moved out to Woodbury from St. Paul MN and now i have one other customer plus mine and the one in St. Paul. I carry all of my equipment in the back of my mom's Voyager and thats the only way i can get around. I can't wait till i get a license though then i can get a trailer and stuff. But right now i currently own a early 90's Honda Masters 19 inch 4 hrs. thing, a brand new Toro Recycler Personal Pace w/electric start (oh yeah baby forget pulling ) and get this, a 1977 Wheel Horse A-60 Electric Horse. I actually use the Wheel Horse but only on my lawn since i don't have a tralier and the toro.
I have to use the 22" for everything except my lawn which stinks because even with the rider, i could get lawns done faster. My client in town takes about an hour and 15 mins w/ trimming and blowing. Though i haven't quite figured out how to use the blade edger attachment for the John Deere quick connect (oops forgot that) with straight shaft trimmer/brushcutter, blower, and edger, so i don't use that much i just like to get that string nice and close to the pavement.
Jeez am i writing too much?
But i would like to know what people here think would be a good addition or to point me to some good threads on making businedss, like some good ways to get to people through friends and church and family and stuff, i've tried searching but i don't usually get very good resuslts if they have anything to do with the topic. But one thing is for sure, i don't like brochures, also, how in the world can you tell what size a lawn is just by looking at it????!!!! Well anyways sorry to keep you up with this large post and off to bed now.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

RandyRhoads,

welcome to lawnsite!!!

this place is awesome and you will learn a lot of stuff. i am 15 years old and my brother is 17. as you get more customers you will get a "feel" for quoting lawns. in the beginning, ask the customer if you can mow it once first and then give them a quote. when you mow it time how long it takes and then charge by the hour. maybe you want to charge 25/hour or 50/hour, whatever you want to. try to go on the lower side in the beginning so you can get a customer base and make some money.

you'll get better at pricing as time goes by.

good luck and if you have anymore questions, just ask

Wade
Old 06-24-2003, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

ok thats cool, thanks
Old 06-25-2003, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

I also am amazed by what some of these teens have. Im 18, have a partner, 36 lawns, weekly landscaping. Ive been keeping doing all he facets it takes to run a lawn service and I can say it took getting up at 5 o clock in the morning and going to bed around midnight for the last month of school. Our equipment sucks. 5x7 wood box trailer, craftsman 6horse , 2 commericlal 5 horse mtds. And homeowner blower and and trimmer, except for our newly purchased echo smr240. But anyhow im finding out its going to take a $20,000 loan which we are gettting approved for on thursday to really expand our business. All these teens with 8,000 mowers given to them by their parents are lucky, really friggen lucky.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:40 AM
Suspended

they did`t give me my ztr i financed it through them intrest free.
and its all paid off
Old 06-25-2003, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Member

hey CMLLawnServices, what kind of ZTR do you have, isn't that one of those Zero Turn things from Toro or Exmark? anyways, how many lawns did you have going when you got it and what do you mean by finance, is that one of those payment plans where you pay so much every month and in like 12 or 24 months you have it paid off?

And StudentLawn, i've paid off everything that my parents have purchased except for the toro recycler mower, i have about 320 saved up right now and am hoping to find some more business so i can have more income and then i can pay off the toro and maybe try to buy a new walk-behind. But anyways, most of the stuff i have was not free. The Wheel Horse is not exactly in picture perfect shape. Though it still mows, it was an old thing that was taking up space in my grandpa's garage and he got an old snapper which is better for cutting brush and really thick grass which he uses it for and i said that i would like to take it home and use it and he was cool with that, so my equipment might sound kinda nice, and in fact it is and it works. I'm not gonna say bad stuff about what the Lord has provided me but its not like my parents just buy stuff for me. You should take a look at the eXmark website, there is this place for feedback and stuff, and there is a bunch of kids in there whose parents just go and buy em' 60 Laser z's and stuff. It makes me so mad.
Closed Thread