Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-05-2003, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Member

The Yellow Pages, man is it expensive

I want to put our service in the yellow pages, but they sent me the prices, and they are alot more hefty then I first imagined. Is anyone here in their local yellow pages?.. If so , how much are you paying for what type of advertisement, and how much return have you gotten on the advertisement?
Old 06-05-2003, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How Much??
Old 06-05-2003, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Just remember this--#1 The yellow pages will require a one year contract, and they will take you to court for the money if you cancel #2 are you prepared to drive all over hill and dale to give estimates and do work. I couldn't't wait for my ad to run out. Oh yea! My ad cost me $275 a month. Never again
Old 06-05-2003, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

My ad as part of my monthly business phone line. I don't pay any extra for it. I have received very little calls from it.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I got lucky and signed up the last week they were taking ads so I got 60% off. Mine, 1.5"/1.5" color ad costs me $100 a month. I myself have received a very good response rate, But my ad happened to end right in the middle of the, no other color ads on that page which is a miracle. I have got as little as no calls in a day, and up to 20+. Many of these people calling trying to get the lowest price possible. So when you do the estimate really have to use some people skills and sell yourself. For me it has worked great, Ive read other threads where it has been a waste of time and money for some. Good luck
Old 06-05-2003, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use the Yellow Pages to shop for prices or for items...
"do you carry ____"

If one pays $100 a month, you have to be able to get a presribed # of accounts/projects from it each month to justify it.

If 5% of your revenue is for advertising that would require pulling $2,000 of revenue PER month (2,000 x .05 = 100) just to break even on the cost. Times 12 months = $24,000 revenue generated evey year to justify it in that example.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Good point Idaho, I never thought of it like that.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Well the cheapest ad in the minnesota yellow pages was 200+a month, this is just for a line or two. We wanted a 1/16 page with a white background, this costs about 547 a month. As of now our focus is mowing (since that is the cheapest and easiest to maintain). We want to move towards landscaping and I see the yellow page add as a great way to do that. Another thing is that the ad will really force us to do snow removal becuase in mn, lawn and landscaping season is only 8 months, so im wasting 4 months of advertising during the winter. So I just want to know how many dollars people think they have generated off their ad and for what services?

I figure the advertising may not be directly profitable, but I really want to make the name Student Lawn known, so we can really work ourselves into word of mouth, mabye a one or two year ad can do that?
Old 06-05-2003, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Start spending $10K per year on YP ads and then we're talking about cost.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We used the yellow book last year, not the yellow pages. We were paying around $600 a month. Wasn't worth it one bit, I didn't pay them, they add that I had signed off on isn't what they used. They used the same clipart in my ad and three other guys ad within two pages, everyone used to call about that... A friend of mine is in the yellow pages, from verizon he pays about $700 a month for a very large ad and swears up and down its the best....