Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2000, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have 40 plus or minus acres of mostly wet grass [north of Seattle], with 3 acres in lawn, 5 acres in finish-mowed pasture and the rest in pasture grass either grazed or cut for silage on contract. I mow the 8 acres with:

John Deere 935 - front mower w/72" Commercial deck with a 60" flail deck for rough stuff and backup - 25HP Yanmar diesel - bought used 2 years ago

Massey Ferguson 1235 compact tractor with Woods 7200 rear discharge finish mower for groomed pastures. I leave the bucket loader on it. Bought new in the middle of last year.

Toro Wheel Horse 32" riding mulching mower - came with place, is beat to crap but still runs great and mows OK for tight spots when it's dry enough.

Sears 21" mower - my first mower, bought with my first house, it's 21 years old and never been to the shop, just new plugs & oil.

Stihl FS-200 brush cutter
Stihl FS-85 trimmer, with pruner and 11" hedge cutter
Stihl 026 chainsaw [plus 25 year old Mac chainsaw I used for college money cutting firewood--just used it to cut some 6" PVC drain pipe out of the ground yesterday - yes I dug it up with a plow by accident]

70's International 60HP loader tractor came with place along with several attachments.

Do my own maintenance and smaller repairs. Have excellent MF/Woods dealer 3 miles away and excellent but expensive JD dealer 12 miles away. Anything else is 40 - 50 miles away except for one ripoff Toro dealer.

I got my wife a Mule for Xmas as her garden cart [90' x 35'tilled area] but I use it for hauling my stuff and spraying [15 gal. tank from Costco]

My biggest challenge is getting good help, so I do most of this by myself or with the help of a really good neighbor. I'm still trying to come up with a better way to mow wet [I want to try double blades next year] and for trimming several thousand feet of horse fence. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 09-23-2000, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Horse fence would be an excellent application for growth regulator, like Primo.
Old 10-09-2000, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Started out in 1990-part time withixon 429 ZTR(still have this mower)Stihl trimmer,Ryobi hand held blower
10 yrs.later-2000 ToroZ-master w/23hpKaw52",Exmark 48"wb,Toro 37"wb,Kubota B-1550w/60"deck,Toro 21",various backpacks and handheld equipment.Decided to go full time in April 1998.Offer full service (pesticide application,seeding,fert,etc.)
Old 10-10-2000, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

WHEELED TRIMMER WITH SELF PROPELL or TRACTOR MOUNTED TRIMMER/EDGER. they work for me!
Old 10-18-2000, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

NEED HELP

I HAVE BEEN IN BUSINEES FOR MY SELF SINCE I WAS 14 YEARS OLD.OVER THE PAST 11 SEASONS THE PROBLEM I FACE IS FINDING HELP.I HAVE HAD GOOD AND BAD HELP AND HAVE PAID BOTH SALARY MONEY FOR 12 MONTHS OR HAVE PAID GUYS $12 PER HOUR PLUS TIME AND A HALF OVERTIME.AT THIS POINT WE ARE LARGE ENOUGH TO NEED 4 TO 5 GUYS ALL YEAR AROUND AND A FEW PT DURING THE PEAK SEASON.I HAVE EVEN OFFERED HEALTH INS.,ETC.PLEASE GIVE ME ANY IDEAS ON FINDING HELP OTHER THAN PAPER ADS.

THANKS
JOE
Old 10-20-2000, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been in this business about 2 yrs. now. I was very fortunate to start out strong. I had money saved up when we moved to FL 2 yrs. ago. I put it all into my bus. I bought a used s-10 a new 48" Exmark hydro,a new echo weedwacker and new echo blower,new 6x12 trailer, a snapper 5hp comm.mower,a used gas hedge clippers, plus other misc. equipment. I paid cash for all of it. I have 6 commerical accounts and a handful of residentials. I am NOT bragging, I'm am just proud of what I've done. One of the best things I have done is to join Lawnsite.com. Thanks and best of luck to all. We are a hard working group of people and I'm proud to be part of it.
Old 11-17-2000, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

i started out helping a friend of my who cut about 50 yards with a 22" mtd push mower from walmart..we would go around the nieghborhood on a motor scooter.i would be dragging the mower on the back and he would carry the weedeater blower and gas cans... our uniform consisted of our shorts..no shoes or shirts...i bet we looked like a couple of bums...oh well it payed off in the long run. i have a thriving business now.. and i wear a shirt and shoes...
Old 01-02-2001, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Joe,

What part of Maryland are you guys located in?
Old 01-05-2001, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

anyone in florida hiring???

I emailed this member and told him to please post on the Lawn Forum with his posts. This forum is for posting Who you are, where you are from and What you started out with and have now.

I am going to close this thread, because with the heading that Mr. Ziffle put on here, new members think this is where they need to post. Please add to the big thread so we can keep all these posts together. The ones that are off by them selves will get lost unless someone has their browser set to search for 365 days.

Anyone that has a post on this thread, please copy and paste it to the thread that has way over 100 posts on it so we keep them together. It is much easier to read about everyone if they are all together. Once you move your post, email me so I can delete your post on this one.
Thanks
Closed Thread