Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-08-2003, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Perma Green ultra and/or spray tank?

I am making the switch for 2004 from cutting to fertilization. I'll be getting my applicators license over the winter. My 185 cutting acounts have been spoken for at the end of this season as well as most of my equipment.

This allows me to spend a decent amount of money on fert equipment. I have been interested in the Ride On Ultra and it sounds like most of the previous issues with the unit have been addressed, crosses fingers. In Michigan where I work, there are not to many fences. If I am able to do effective fert and weed control with the ride on, do I really need to purchase a spray tank? I have the finances to get a cab over truck with a big spray tank. The spray tank also takes up space and I would almost rather spend some money on a $7000 z-spray aerator instead.

Any thoughts on going this route?
Old 06-08-2003, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

maxrep12, if you currently own ztr rider you can ad the GATOR RATOR for about the 1/3 the cost. also have a higher rate of productivity. Sizes are 31.5" ( $2499.00) and 54"($2999.00) aeration swath.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your reply. What about the number of cores per square foot and core depth? Also, selling the ztr and the add on price may be a wash compared to buying the z plugger on its own. Food for thought though!
Old 06-09-2003, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For the PG unit you will still need a nurse tank.

I have used up the full 200gal of my skid sprayer and still needed more to complete they day with blanket apps.

A pickup can do just fine with the PG, you only need that much for one application, and I don't spread much fert on that visit.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

With the PG ride-on's you'll do well with a nurse tank from 25-50 gallons in which to fill your unit with through the day. I've used the 200-300 gallon sprayers but will admit the advantages with the ride-ons more than offset having the big spray tanks to worry about and all the mixing issues, IMO.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Think a female could operate the P G ? Got one who wants to start doing apps , but has a bad knee .

L G F how reliable has yours been ?
Old 06-10-2003, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The nurse tank; I figure my 200gal will do 800,000 sqft.

a 50gal will do 200,000 sqft ( with some of my lawns this will blanket about 1.5 lawns, so tank size is too small, however I will use a 30gal once I don't need to carry 200 gal)

Takes some getting used to with upper body, and leaning when you are supposed to.

Throttle cable broke on mine in the first 6 hours, while I was on the phone to get one, they forgot to send my spare parts kit, so they sent me that and the throttle cable next day air, and the spare parts kit has one in it also.

179 hours basically trouble free so far.

Nothing like cutting your app time in half.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maxrep12,
How long have you been certified and spraying? Who did you work for previously? Where abouts are you? We're up in the Flint area.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

LGF,
What's the smallest lawn you would use a ride-on on?
Old 06-10-2003, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

3 units have over 800 hours and are going well. There have been breakdowns but for the most part perma green has been quick at getting parts delivered like LGF indicated most times they're next day UPS or some carrier. I wouldn't have a problem with a girl using one but it does take some upper body strength to manuever day in and day out. I even noticed some aching ribs and abs the first few days of use, but nothing too bad. I would recommend they be only used on 8 ,000 sq ft or higher lawns, just because there isn't much time savings unless you're having to spray all the time.